Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ

C'mon now.......

General BJ Discussion

Old 12-06-2004, 04:54 AM
Suddenly

Default C'mon now.......

While I will agree that Jon has the whole "nasal" thing goin with his singing, i disagree that he's losin it completely. For those who see him live often i just have to mention the way they do KTF -- with the "Jungle/Save yourself" break in the middle -- shades of the old Jon -- so he can do it........

also complaints about "same old songs" being played -- while they do tend to use the standards, ive seen them vary with how they play them, live they haven't disappointed me (regards to performance or set-list) -- sure i would like to see "Wild is the Wind" or "Shot through the Heart", but i think with their dominance as a live band, ive gotten my money's worth every time...........ive heard richie make one mistake during a show, otherwise they're a tight band

with regards to the "decline" in material, i think their songs have gotten better -- sure lyrically they throw their staple words or phrases in, but their music is better -- i do disagree with their album picks, in light of the abundance of demo's that are shelved -- i thought only the critics gave it bad to Bon Jovi, but some fans aren't even lookin at the big picture.......how many of their albums sound the same?.......how many songs sound the same? (think Bryan Adams, U2, Aerosmith [from the 90s], Sting, and the "rock" stuff out today) -- while some think it bad, i like the fact that KTF is totally different than Crush -- the only 2 albums that i would say are even related are Crush and Bounce, but even they are different.......

not criticizing anyone, but just wanted to go to bat for the band -- some were knocking a little too heavy without looking at the bigger picture that i mentioned above -- they're still one of the best rock bands in history -- not the best, but by critical standards, very underrated -- one fan's opinion

Old 12-06-2004, 10:18 AM
Jovi Freak

each to their own i suppose.

but your right about all their albums being different and unique enough, in comparison to other bands which churn out the same ol every few years and the fans lap it up.

im not a big fan at the current state of Jons voice, but theyr still Bon Jovi and stil put on a great live show.

ktf
andi
That you are all you really need
JBJ - I believe

"Sambora's face is a mask of joyous disbelief, as if previously unaware of his ability to play the instrument at all. Reaching the last fistful of notes, he does a fair impression of a man who is actually ejaculating into his jet black flares."
. . . Ben Mitchell, Q Magazine
Old 12-06-2004, 05:24 PM
Hardest Part is the Night

Default Re: C'mon now.......

[quote="Jax2004"]

also complaints about "same old songs" being played -- while they do tend to use the standards, ive seen them vary with how they play them, live they haven't disappointed me (regards to performance or set-list) -- sure i would like to see "Wild is the Wind" or "Shot through the Heart", but i think with their dominance as a live band, ive gotten my money's worth every time...........ive heard richie make one mistake during a show, otherwise they're a tight band

with regards to the "decline" in material, i think their songs have gotten better -- sure lyrically they throw their staple words or phrases in, but their music is better -- i do disagree with their album picks, in light of the abundance of demo's that are shelved -- i thought only the critics gave it bad to Bon Jovi, but some fans aren't even lookin at the big picture.......how many of their albums sound the same?.......how many songs sound the same? (think Bryan Adams, U2, Aerosmith [from the 90s], Sting, and the "rock" stuff out today) -- while some think it bad, i like the fact that KTF is totally different than Crush -- the only 2 albums that i would say are even related are Crush and Bounce, but even they are different.......

[quote]

I've never been fortunate enough to attend a Jovi concert yet, but from what I've seen from the concert dvd's they have released, they put on a great live show no matter what they play. The band has to play songs that appeal to everyone and not just the die hard fans who have been to countless Jovi concerts.

Not everyone at the concert wants to hear If I was Your Mother or Wild is the Wind because they arn't familiar with those songs and are there mainly to hear Bad Name, Prayer, Bed of Roses etc. Not everyone has all the Jovi albums and many people at the concerts would only know the famous songs or past hits. To many rarieties would lose the crowd (who like to sing along to songs they know) and many would leave dissapointed if they don't hear a particular song. This is also why the band played their past hits at the Borgata show to please the casual fans listening on the web and on TV.

On a song writing level, I think the band are better than ever... the problem is they havn't really proven it a great deal by choosing the wrong songs to go on recent albums. Songs like She's a Mystery, Save the World and the Bounce ballads could have been replaced by any of the much better songs they had in their vaults. Crush is IMO, almost as good as KTF but its just not the same kind of music. It's more of a lighthearted pop album but musically, it's still up there in quality.

One of the things that appeals to me about Bon Jovi is that you never know what to expect. Sure you almost always count on a catchy chorus and simular song structure but the sound and feel of all their songs varies quite a bit and they have really shown some diversity over the years (as shown on the boxset).

Recently, I bought an album from another bands I like. While I liked the album, it almost sounded like they could be B'sides from their last album they were so alike in sound. With Jovi, every album is different and exciting. Some 80's Jovi fans winge that they'll never top Slippery or "why can't they sound like that again?" but Jovi have moved on from that. They are talented enough to keep things fresh and can write all sorts of music. People pidgeon hole them as an 80's band but I've always felt the only reason they sounded like that is because that is how they adapted to the contempory music scene at that time. Being able to successfully adapt to a particular trend in the music charts is something I'm glad the guys have been able to do an I hope this carries on with their next album... From what I've heard/read, they've already turned some heads with that clip they played.