Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ

Richie is the real Genuis

General BJ Discussion

Old 01-30-2005, 02:39 AM
Undiscovered Posts

Send a message via MSN to relz007
Default Richie is the real Genuis

Hey guys just wanted to say that i am a die hard jovi fan but after listening to richie solo albums it is now clear to me who is the real brains of the band. His albums are so soulful and meaningful which is what attractided me to jovi music in the first place, fair play to richie who's albums were far out sold by jons but are far superiour musically to jons albums dont know if any1 agrees but gimmie ur thoughts

KTF
relz

Old 01-30-2005, 03:36 AM
Retired Super Moderator
Crush

I don't think there's enough material that Richie has written alone to compare his songwriting skills to Jon's. With Jon we have the bulk of his solo CDs, half of the Keep the Faith CD, and songs from each band CD that he wrote solo. With Richie, there are three songs in the entire catalogue that he wrote solo. So, I don' t believe there's enough of a sample to compare the two as songwriters. Who knows how much of Richie's solo CDs are the contribution of Dave Bryan or Richie Supa or Desmond Child etc.

Now if you want to compare Jon and Richie as a team to another team of songwriters, there are plenty of songs to judge them by. If you want to compare Jon to another solo songwriter, there's enough material to do so. But it's impossible to judge Richie as a songwriter because there isn't enough released material he wrote alone.

Becky
Old 01-30-2005, 10:35 AM
Posting Always

Everything Jon or Rich has written on their own is mediocre or worse, they need each other (and various number of outside help) to produce anything good.

Old 01-30-2005, 01:54 PM
Tokyo Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneDeaf
Everything Jon or Rich has written on their own is mediocre or worse, they need each other (and various number of outside help) to produce anything good.
To each his own opinion I suppose, but I find it hard to imagine someone describing, for example, Dry County or Santa Fe as 'mediocre or worse'

Sometimes you can just lay down
You can play the game
You can take the cards that they deal ya
And you can just pretend it's all over
BUT NOT ME!!!
Old 01-30-2005, 01:55 PM
Pies Descalzos, Suenos Blancos
Something for the Posts

Send a message via AIM to ~saz~ Send a message via MSN to ~saz~ Send a message via Yahoo to ~saz~

I agree with Becky. There aren't enough solo Richie songs out there to make a qualified and informed judgement.
Which is why Richie need to make another solo album so we can make a judgment :P

Old 01-30-2005, 02:07 PM
The One And Only Real Backstage Killer
I'll Post When I'm Dead

Send a message via MSN to Supersonic

Aloha !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky
I don't think there's enough material that Richie has written alone to compare his songwriting skills to Jon's. With Jon we have the bulk of his solo CDs, half of the Keep the Faith CD, and songs from each band CD that he wrote solo. With Richie, there are three songs in the entire catalogue that he wrote solo. So, I don' t believe there's enough of a sample to compare the two as songwriters. Who knows how much of Richie's solo CDs are the contribution of Dave Bryan or Richie Supa or Desmond Child etc.
True, but when it comes to co-writing Richie is the better one in my opinion. Also, writing songs isn't the only one you can compare them to. Picking a band, doing solo shows is something Richie is doing much better than Jon as well. Jon's band "The Big Dogs" just sucked, and his solo shows weren't that good either.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan
Old 01-30-2005, 02:16 PM
Hardest Part is the Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky

Now if you want to compare Jon and Richie as a team to another team of songwriters, there are plenty of songs to judge them by. If you want to compare Jon to another solo songwriter, there's enough material to do so. But it's impossible to judge Richie as a songwriter because there isn't enough released material he wrote alone.Becky
Yep, i agree.
If Richie were the real genius and the real musical influence on the band then all of their albums would sound like his solo work, but they don't.

Jon has said plenty of times before that part of what made the band was that they all had different musical influences and they put these into the band. You can tell that Richie has had input into the band but it is not all his own work.
Old 01-30-2005, 02:20 PM
Just posting

Send a message via MSN to Rina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersonic
True, but when it comes to co-writing Richie is the better one in my opinion. Also, writing songs isn't the only one you can compare them to. Picking a band, doing solo shows is something Richie is doing much better than Jon as well. Jon's band "The Big Dogs" just sucked, and his solo shows weren't that good either.
True! I was pretty bored at Jon's solo show in 1998. There was no chemistry - it was just Jon with a band...
Richie's backing abnd seemed to have so much fun and it was as if they had played together for ages!
I know, this has nothing to do with writing song...
Old 01-30-2005, 04:34 PM
It's my post

Send a message via MSN to Cowgirl77

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Walrus
Quote:
To each his own opinion I suppose, but I find it hard to imagine someone describing, for example, Dry County or Santa Fe as 'mediocre or worse'
or Living in Sin! Has one of my fave lines of all times:

"You can talk but still say nothing
You stay together but alone"

Excellent! (IMO)

Gelsenkirchen, May 22 ~ Leipzig, May 25 ~ Hamburg, May 28
Randers, June 19 ~ London, June 27+28

Bryan Adams ~ Odense, May 31st
Old 01-30-2005, 04:59 PM
Hardest Part is the Night

Quote:
I disagree with you here... I think they are both really good songwriters and have great chemistry together. Jon has written some great songs on his own. I Believe, Bed of Roses, Fear, Dry County, Blaze of Glory, Santa Fe for example. Richie hasn't written enough on his own to be judged as a solo songwriter but his influence to the Jovi songs he has cowritten is noticible. I think the more outside input that comes into this partenship when writing Jovi songs, (with the exception of Desmond Child and in some cases Billy Falcon) the weaker their material is.

They both contribute in their own way to this band. I think it's unfair to say 'Richie is the genius' when as already mentioned, he did have a fair amount of help with the writing of both his solo albums. Jon's Blaze of Glory may be arguably not as good as Stranger, but you can't really use this as an argument as to why Richie is the better songwriter.

Blaze was a soundtrack written from the perspective of a character (Billy the Kid). He did it completely on his own with no Desmond Child or Dave around to help him make every song a hit.

Their chemistry is part of what makes Jovi great. While I'm sure they are capable on their own, I'm sure its not Richie doing all the work as some people seem to believe. It's their combined talents that have created many of these songs that they are famous for.