Richie's Billboard Interview - Nov. 14 '08 - No more Nashville style

General BJ Discussion

Old 11-14-2008, 06:49 PM
Runaway

Default Richie's Billboard Interview - Nov. 14 '08 - No more Nashville style

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/..._id=1003891279

Bon Jovi Writing New Songs For Hits Set
John Benson, Cleveland

With the final leg of Bon Jovi's "Lost Highway" tour completed, guitarist Richie Sambora tells Billboard.com the New Jersey rock act is looking ahead to plenty of new projects.

"We've been filming a documentary and are in the process of mixing a live DVD of last year's 'Lost Highway' concert tour," Sambora says. "Also, I think we're looking at doing a greatest hits album next year. Jon and I are writing some new songs for it and to just load up for the next Bon Jovi record."

Sambora says he expects the DVD and best-of effort to be packaged together for a fall 2009 street date.

The Nashville-tinged "Lost Highway" was a critical and commercial success, but Sambora says the band won't necessarily return to that style again.

"No, we have to change," he says. "We have to do something different. I don't know what that's going to be. As we get into the writing process and continue on, we'll see what that's going to look like. I think it comes to stylistically what songs you're writing. What kind of music is coming out of you, and what's the mood of those songs. You have to color those little drawings with the right production value and the right music."

Outside of Bon Jovi, Sambora is staying active with various extracurricular opportunities. Not only did he recently join B.B. King on stage in Chicago for the taping of a PBS special, but he will take part in a Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum Tribute Concert for Les Paul Saturday (Nov. 15) at the State Theatre in Cleveland.

"I've also been doing multiple sessions out here, some odd recordings with Kid Rock and T.I., some crazy stuff," Sambora says. "So I've been busy. Also, I'm going to be scoring some movies and TV shows. One of the movies is 'The Tournament' with Ving Rhames."

Sambora is also looking ahead to next year, when Bon Jovi will become eligible for induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum.

"I hope so," Sambora laughs. "Time flies man, but yeah there's talk and rumors. Boy that would be nice. It's something certainly I've been shooting for all my life. I think if you have a career in the music business, you want to get inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum."

Last edited by alois; 11-14-2008 at 07:05 PM..

Old 11-14-2008, 07:31 PM
Disillusioned Diehard
The Distance

Quote:
Originally Posted by alois View Post
Outside of Bon Jovi, Sambora is staying active with various extracurricular opportunities. Not only did he recently join B.B. King on stage in Chicago for the taping of a PBS special, but he will take part in a Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum Tribute Concert for Les Paul Saturday (Nov. 15) at the State Theatre in Cleveland.
I knew about the Les Paul concert, but somehow I'd missed the B.B. King one. The first I've heard of it was in these last 2 interviews with Richie. Anyone know anything about it?
Old 11-14-2008, 07:34 PM
Tokyo Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by alois View Post
http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/..._id=1003891279

Bon Jovi Writing New Songs For Hits Set
John Benson, Cleveland

With the final leg of Bon Jovi's "Lost Highway" tour completed, guitarist Richie Sambora tells Billboard.com the New Jersey rock act is looking ahead to plenty of new projects.

"We've been filming a documentary and are in the process of mixing a live DVD of last year's 'Lost Highway' concert tour," Sambora says. "Also, I think we're looking at doing a greatest hits album next year. Jon and I are writing some new songs for it and to just load up for the next Bon Jovi record."

Sambora says he expects the DVD and best-of effort to be packaged together for a fall 2009 street date.

The Nashville-tinged "Lost Highway" was a critical and commercial success, but Sambora says the band won't necessarily return to that style again.

"No, we have to change," he says. "We have to do something different. I don't know what that's going to be. As we get into the writing process and continue on, we'll see what that's going to look like. I think it comes to stylistically what songs you're writing. What kind of music is coming out of you, and what's the mood of those songs. You have to color those little drawings with the right production value and the right music."

"I've also been doing multiple sessions out here, some odd recordings with Kid Rock and T.I., some crazy stuff," Sambora says. "So I've been busy. Also, I'm going to be scoring some movies and TV shows. One of the movies is 'The Tournament' with Ving Rhames."

Sambora is also looking ahead to next year, when Bon Jovi will become eligible for induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum.

"I hope so," Sambora laughs. "Time flies man, but yeah there's talk and rumors. Boy that would be nice. It's something certainly I've been shooting for all my life. I think if you have a career in the music business, you want to get inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum."
Sounds good! Maybe it's just wishful thinking, but I'm liking the way he's talking about any new music being different

Sometimes you can just lay down
You can play the game
You can take the cards that they deal ya
And you can just pretend it's all over
BUT NOT ME!!!
Old 11-14-2008, 07:37 PM
It's my post

Send a message via MSN to ponrauil

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Walrus View Post
Sounds good! Maybe it's just wishful thinking, but I'm liking the way he's talking about any new music being different
Up to now "different" as left us with TLFR, Bounce or Lost Highway... I could use a little "same old, same old"...

Ponrauil
Old 11-14-2008, 07:38 PM
Disillusioned Diehard
The Distance

I just found this about the PBS taping with B.B. King. I think it is just from the blog of someone who was lucky enough to be there . . . and I can't wait for this to air!

When I’m Eighty… October 11, 2008

There are things in this life that continue to amaze me: autumn leaves changing colors right before my eyes; the taste of pure apple cider on a cool, crisp day; a stranger helping an elderly woman cross the road. And tonight, I was amazed. Amazed at the capacity of one person to singlehandedly move me. Amazed at how captivating music can be. Amazed at how I continue to bitch and complain all the way up until that moment when nothing else matters but the present company at hand.
Tonight, for the first time in my life, I heard B.B. King play live.
For starters, I love Blues music, but never make it out to Bluesfest at Grant Park. I’d hardly ever heard B.B. play, but I knew I was in for a treat. And even though the show only lasted about an hour and a half, I was captivated the moment he hobbled onto the stage (he is in his eighties, after all). He plays Lucille like nobody’s business, and even had some special guests along for the night, including actor Terrance Howard, Solange Knowles, and Richie Sambora.
Now, Terrance Howard, he is a gorgeous, gorgeous man, who makes the ladies swoon at a glance. He is also a musician (or was always a musician who also happens to act), and he tried to keep up with B.B., he did try, but B.B. outshone. (it is B.B., after all) Solange Knowles (Beyonce’s little sister) has the silkiest voice I have heard in a while, but her one song with a drooling B.B. didn’t do her justice. But the matchup of the year was definitely B.B. and Richie Sambora (from that little band called Bon Jovi). He walks out with this cherry red Les Paul guitar, and I start salivating. I mean literally, mouth open, drooling. So gorgeous. And Richie wasn’t bad either. But then the two of them just start playing, and it is pure magic in the house. The blues riffs mixed with the rock riffs…it was just an indescribable feeling. That feeling when you think there is no place in the world you would rather be than right where you are. It had nothing to do with the people I was with (since this was a work event, I was literally sitting on the stairs with the most perfect view, by myself, and I hardly even noticed) and everything to do with the magic from those two guitars. Totally inspired me to break out my guitars and start jamming…totally inspired me to take out my XM and tune to Bluesville, completely inspired me to just enjoy the moment. B.B.’s band was un-freaking believable. The band never gets credit, but they more than held their own. I loved the drummer. He was just having a grand old time. The horn section, the bassist, just everyone…they just don’t make music like this anymore, and that’s sad. But thank goodness B.B.’s still around, playing Lucille like he was born to play her.
Awe-inspiring. Brilliant. It’s one of those small things in life that just make you smile. And in these economic times, I realize how lucky I am to be able to do these things for free. And that makes me smile and count my lucky stars.
B.B. King with special guests Terrance Howard, Solange Knowles, and Richie Sambora should be coming to PBS in late November/early December…it probably won’t capture the same essence of what it did to me tonight, but it will definitely come close.
I only hope that when I am eighty+ years old, I will:
A) Still be playing music on my guitar, and
B) Still be able to sit up straight!

http://roseweaver.wordpress.com/2008...hen-im-eighty/
Old 11-14-2008, 07:41 PM
It's my post

Send a message via MSN to ponrauil

^ Richie really must release a real blues solo record some day. It's what he is.

Ponrauil
Old 11-14-2008, 07:46 PM
Jovitalk Award Winner
I'll Post When I'm Dead

Send a message via AIM to Kathleen Send a message via MSN to Kathleen

Nice article Terri. BB King is one of those old guys out of my childhood - and he's still going strong. It does my heart good to see that musicians, unlike athletes, can stay with their profession well into their old age.

If anyone has any clue about TV airing dates please post - I don't want to miss this. I go to the B B King Blues Club in the city frequently to see several of my favorite performers including it's namesake. The man is a legend and Richie is lucky to have the chance to play with him.

You write your truth and I'll write mine.
Old 11-14-2008, 07:49 PM
Disillusioned Diehard
The Distance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
Nice article Terri. BB King is one of those old guys out of my childhood - and he's still going strong. It does my heart good to see that musicians, unlike athletes, can stay with their profession well into their old age.

If anyone has any clue about TV airing dates please post - I don't want to miss this. I go to the B B King Blues Club in the city frequently to see several of my favorite performers including it's namesake. The man is a legend and Richie is lucky to have the chance to play with him.
I'm searching PBS's website right now, Kathleen. We will NOT miss this!

EDIT - I don't see anything about the show on the PBS website yet, but I'll be watching.

(Did you see the new SSJ date at BB King's? Not until March. I was hoping they'd be there in January when I'll be in Philly. I would have skipped out on the dog show this year!)

Last edited by milomom; 11-14-2008 at 08:05 PM..
Old 11-14-2008, 08:17 PM
I Don't Want To Post Forever

Send a message via MSN to liljovi93

These interviews are very good.
I'm gutted that the dvd wont be out until some time with the album in 2009.
How long is it taking.

Bon Jovi - Old Trafford - June 26th 2003
Bon Jovi - City Of Manchester Stadium - June 4th 2006
Bon Jovi - City Of Manchester Stadium - June 22nd 2008
Bon Jovi - Old Trafford Cricket Ground - June 24th 2011
Bon Jovi - City Of Manchester Stadium - June 8th 2013
Bon Jovi - Slane Castle - June 15th 2013
Bon Jovi - Hyde Park - July 5th 2013
Bon Jovi - London Palladium - October 10th 2016
Excuse me, has anyone got a bottle of orange juice?!

Not afraid of Burning Bridges, cause I know they're gonna light my way...
Old 11-14-2008, 08:40 PM
Blaze of Posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by liljovi93 View Post
These interviews are very good.
I'm gutted that the dvd wont be out until some time with the album in 2009.
How long is it taking.
There must be something interesting being done to it, otherwise it surely wouldn't take this long.