Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ

Coupla Pages of History Part One - Guitar For the Practicing Musician May 1987

General BJ Discussion

Old 01-25-2010, 05:39 PM
The Voice of Reason
Destination any Forum

Default Coupla Pages of History Part One - Guitar For the Practicing Musician May 1987

When I suggested I may go into my closet and dig out an old Rip Magazine interview with Jon from Keep the Faith and then actually followed through this weekend by going to seek it out....it turned into a slightly larger project than I anticipated. I knew being a bit of a pack rat would eventually come in handy.

These interviews clearly outline the creative and personal growth of the band beyond the music that made so many of us lifelong fans. I hope you'll all enjoy this three part post getting a glimpse back to a part of the band history that just isn't very well documented on the internet.

Old 01-25-2010, 05:54 PM
These Days

Send a message via MSN to severo17

Cool read, thanks!
Loved the part in which they say they love to play "Silent Night"
Old 01-25-2010, 05:57 PM
The Distance

Send a message via ICQ to Iceman Send a message via MSN to Iceman

In 1987: "This is a democracy". In 2009 "This is not a democracy".

Ice

Only dead fish go with the flow.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:52 PM
Keep the Faith

kinda interesting to hear jon call little steven his hero ...

Old 01-25-2010, 09:00 PM
Jovitalk Award Winner
I'll Post When I'm Dead

Send a message via AIM to Kathleen Send a message via MSN to Kathleen

Quote:
Originally Posted by † ÀžžÀ † View Post
kinda interesting to hear jon call little steven his hero ...
Little Steven is one of the best musicians around. He has been producing (and writing songs for) Southside Johnny for 30 years. He promotes small, garage rock bands on his radio show. He is still touring with Bruce. And his guitar skills took a big jump forward this past Bruce tour.

He doesn't have the best voice, but his musicianship is impeccable in my opinion.

You write your truth and I'll write mine.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:51 AM
J E R S E Y ● syndicate™
Destination any Forum

Send a message via ICQ to *ºÇåptäîn¤Çrä§hº* Send a message via MSN to *ºÇåptäîn¤Çrä§hº*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
In 2009 "This is not a democracy".
Where's the rest of this? Out of context anyone? That's alomst yellow press style!
Jon decides (and is responsible) as he's got the contract but they all have their say. Or else, they all seem very comfortable with their subjugation, don't they?
Old 01-26-2010, 06:15 AM
The Distance

Quote:
Originally Posted by *ºÇåptäîn¤Çrä§hº* View Post
Where's the rest of this? Out of context anyone? That's alomst yellow press style!
Jon decides (and is responsible) as he's got the contract but they all have their say. Or else, they all seem very comfortable with their subjugation, don't they?
They live with it, they're not necessarily happy with it. Just watch the documentary, does Dave seem happy with it?

Ice

Old 01-26-2010, 09:47 AM
Keep the Faith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
Little Steven is one of the best musicians around. He has been producing (and writing songs for) Southside Johnny for 30 years. He promotes small, garage rock bands on his radio show. He is still touring with Bruce. And his guitar skills took a big jump forward this past Bruce tour.

He doesn't have the best voice, but his musicianship is impeccable in my opinion.
don't get me wrong, i love steve. i'm a huge bruce fan have seen him live a few times. i just always thought JB grew-up with southside and bruce as his two main influences not little steven. he also comes across as a real cool guy.

and you're right - he doesn't have the best voice

Old 01-26-2010, 01:55 PM
J E R S E Y ● syndicate™
Destination any Forum

Send a message via ICQ to *ºÇåptäîn¤Çrä§hº* Send a message via MSN to *ºÇåptäîn¤Çrä§hº*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
They live with it, they're not necessarily happy with it. Just watch the documentary, does Dave seem happy with it?
I think so, yes. At least, I don't see anything explicitly contrary. He doesn't get the publicity Richie gets, but as far as I know he's had some serious private problems as well. So, it could be that. There's no subtitle that says "Look at poor me, my sad face, it's because of Jon and believe me, what I'm actually saying here is bullshit." Because it's not, it's just what you perceive.

Whenever they say something it's either "Bla, bla, same old, same old!" or, when they do say something slightly different and maybe honest, then it's immediately "Dictator Jon ruining it all." from the whiners.
It's only natural to become a boy band with boy band fans that hang on their idols' lips during every public second around the world like a junkie on the needle. But I digress, I know you're not that kind of guy.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:52 PM
The Distance

Quote:
Originally Posted by *ºÇåptäîn¤Çrä§hº* View Post
I think so, yes. At least, I don't see anything explicitly contrary. He doesn't get the publicity Richie gets, but as far as I know he's had some serious private problems as well. So, it could be that. There's no subtitle that says "Look at poor me, my sad face, it's because of Jon and believe me, what I'm actually saying here is bullshit." Because it's not, it's just what you perceive.
The way I see it is that Dave is not happy that he hasn't got enough say on what the band does, but he's not stupid so he's not going to leave because of that. I'm sure he'd have a lot to give to Bon Jovi if given the chance.

I understand that a band can't be a democracy, it doesn't work. But I still don't like the fact that they all agree that Jon calls all the shots.

Ice