Home Register Members FAQ

Will Bon Jovi ever release...

General BJ Discussion

Old 04-16-2014, 02:18 PM
This Post Feels Right

Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel_horse75 View Post
I dont see another boxset coming out. Times have changed.

I was at Universal when the 100m Fans...came out and it only sold something like 8000 copies in the UK by the time Id left ( mid 2006).

Causal fans and even some die hards just dont buy those type of things. I think it was about £49.99 when it came out over here.

I got 3 copies in the end from Universal. Me, my dad and my sister all have one.

But times have changed and the record company would be on a huge loss due to poor sales now days.
Agreed, it's clunky and not profitable. Because it's 4 discs would the 8000 be multiplied by 4, as far as charts and sales go?

Old 04-16-2014, 02:19 PM
The Distance

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel_horse75 View Post
I dont see another boxset coming out. Times have changed.

I was at Universal when the 100m Fans...came out and it only sold something like 8000 copies in the UK by the time Id left ( mid 2006).

Causal fans and even some die hards just dont buy those type of things. I think it was about £49.99 when it came out over here.

I got 3 copies in the end from Universal. Me, my dad and my sister all have one.

But times have changed and the record company would be on a huge loss due to poor sales now days.
100 Million Fans had so much wasted space though. 90 minute CDs were only being filled to 60. We also got some songs that weren't really necessary to include like Real Life & Edge plus some already released b-sides. I could also pass on songs that the other guys had lead vocals on too, esp Dave and Tico.

If you break it down, 2 full CDs could have been equally satisfying. Figure 90 minutes, 18 songs each totaling 36 songs all together. Exclude the ones mentioned above and you're pretty much there.

2 CDs priced at 10 bucks would be more than generous back then, however in today's times, it still wouldn't sell.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:26 PM
The Distance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_jovi View Post
Agreed, it's clunky and not profitable. Because it's 4 discs would the 8000 be multiplied by 4, as far as charts and sales go?
Sales are sales; charts are charts... not effected

Each disc is counted separate when it comes to the number of albums sold though. If the Box sold 10 copies, that's 40 albums sold
Old 04-16-2014, 02:48 PM
Price of posting

We had a great tool at Universal - you could go to artist and see how many copies individual albums sold since the time it was released, Last year, last month, last week and the day before.

Crossroads is biggest selling and I think New Jersey was 2nd (in UK)
Wembley Arena 90, Wembley Arena 93, MK Bowl 93, Wembley Stadium 95, MK Bowl 96, Wembley Stadium 00, MK Bowl 01, Hyde Park 03, MK Bowl 06, o2 07, Twickenham 08, o2 10 (x2), Hyde Park 13, London Palladium 16, Wembley 19
Follow me: @iam_emmo
Old 04-16-2014, 03:49 PM
This Post Feels Right

Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdkopper View Post
Sales are sales; charts are charts... not effected

Each disc is counted separate when it comes to the number of albums sold though. If the Box sold 10 copies, that's 40 albums sold
If each disc is counted as it's own album how is it not effected then? There's a big difference in sales numbers chart listings if 1 = 4. It doesn't effect US, no, but the label sure does.
Old 04-16-2014, 05:45 PM
The Distance

Quote:
If each disc is counted as it's own album how is it not effected then? There's a big difference in sales numbers chart listings if 1 = 4. It doesn't effect US, no, but the label sure does.
I'll explain it this way. You have a choice to release a double CD or to release albums back to back (Use your Illusion 1 & 2)...

The double album sells 100K copies. And both albums (UYI 1&2) sell 100K copies.

- Number of albums sold are the same for both.. 200K

- When it comes to the charts, the double album will charts as if it only sold 100K. If it was the opposite, you'd see a lot more double CDs out there.

- Now Sales..... Sales and albums sold are not the same. Your sales figures are how much you make in terms of money. Price per unit. A car salesmen could sell 10 cars but those are not his sales figures. It's how much he sold each car for. Then the Net profit comes last which are the total sales less cost per unit.

With the Box Set, it counts as 1 unit. It's not 4 CDs, 1 DVD and a Book. Just like a car sale isn't a Radio, A GPS, 4 Tires, and an Engine. There is a cost associated with the box set and then a percentage set based on the estimated amounts of units sold. The record company doesn't give a shit that each CD will count as 4 CDs sold. They care that they sell X units at X price to meet a certain sales margin.
Old 04-16-2014, 05:50 PM
Blame it on the love of posting

Send a message via MSN to jon-flp

Box sets are in the past. Get over it people.

I don't have the box. I wanted it so much years ago, but it was released too expensive here in Brazil.
The price in the date of launch here? R$ 300,00. Just craziness. Nowadays, doesn't make any sense to release a box set.

I just don't get why not release all the material digitaly. I love buy CD's, but if you going to make like you did with WAN...there's no reason to release something like that. (I'm not talking about the quality of songs)

Last edited by jon-flp; 04-16-2014 at 05:54 PM..
Old 04-16-2014, 06:37 PM
The Distance

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon-flp View Post
Box sets are in the past. Get over it people.

I don't have the box. I wanted it so much years ago, but it was released too expensive here in Brazil.
The price in the date of launch here? R$ 300,00. Just craziness. Nowadays, doesn't make any sense to release a box set.

I just don't get why not release all the material digitaly. I love buy CD's, but if you going to make like you did with WAN...there's no reason to release something like that. (I'm not talking about the quality of songs)
It would make Jon a hypocrite if took that approach. Last Man Standing. He's anti digital download and all about the album.

With a CD you could still get the die-hards but with a bunch of digital downloads, it would get lost in the shuffle. All it takes is one person to download it and it's free to the world with no other attraction to it. With a CD, you have an actual physical product. If it's just a digital release, I'm not buying it.

As a die-hard, I still like to purchase a physical CD and put it on my shelf with the others. I like to put the new CD in my player, skim through the booklet, and take in that new CD plastic smell.

I think they should take 36 unreleased songs, fill-up two solid CDs, and sell it on special for 9.99.... And then have a code in the booklet where you could go online and download a few extra songs for free and watch a video or something.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:01 PM
The One And Only Real Backstage Killer
I'll Post When I'm Dead

Send a message via MSN to Supersonic

Aloha !

Quote:
Forget what's been said above because it's so full of errors and contradictions...again.

Here's how it works for the U.S.A. regarding double albums and box sets.

If you sell a double album lasting 90 minutes, the RIAA considers it one sold one unit. If you however sell a double album lasting over 100 minutes, it's counted as two units. The same goes for box sets, which usually last over 100 minutes anyway. Every disc will be counted as an individual unit. In theory, this means that if a record store sells a box set with 12 CD's in it lasting over 100 minutes, it'll be reported as 12 box sets sold despite there actually being only one physical unit.

So, let's say Bon Jovi has sold 125.000 box sets in the U.S.A., they'll be multiplied by 4, meaning they have, according to the charts, sold 500.000 units, In the U.S.A. you need 500.000 sold multi disc units for a Gold Certification meaning the box has achieved gold status despite there only being 125.000 physical copies around.

Moving on...

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

Last edited by Supersonic; 04-16-2014 at 07:04 PM..
Old 04-16-2014, 07:20 PM
The Distance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersonic View Post
Aloha !

Forget what's been said above because it's so full of errors and contradictions...again.

Here's how it works for the U.S.A. regarding double albums and box sets.

If you sell a double album lasting 90 minutes, the RIAA considers it one sold one unit. If you however sell a double album lasting over 100 minutes, it's counted as two units. The same goes for box sets, which usually last over 100 minutes anyway. Every disc will be counted as an individual unit. In theory, this means that if a record store sells a box set with 12 CD's in it lasting over 100 minutes, it'll be reported as 12 box sets sold despite there actually being only one physical unit.

So, let's say Bon Jovi has sold 125.000 box sets in the U.S.A., they'll be multiplied by 4, meaning they have, according to the charts, sold 500.000 units, In the U.S.A. you need 500.000 sold multi disc units for a Gold Certification meaning the box has achieved gold status despite there only being 125.000 physical copies around.

Moving on...

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan
OK. We already knew all that. You didn't add anything in regards to sales or charting though. That's what your missing and failing to present. Yes, the album is rewarded a gold status and the band is given a plaque but that doesn't mean anything in regards to sales or charting. It's not charted as if it sold 500 copies. If it sold 1000 units in the first week, it's not charted as 4,000 copies sold and a winner against a single cd that sold only 3,000 copies.

Edit:

- In the US, the Box Set SOLD 125 thousand copies and that how the Record Company views it. And that's it...... Their final sales figures are based on that number of units times the price it was sold at. How the number of CDs are counted is completely irrelevant to them.

- It achieved a Gold status by the Recording Industry Association of America because it contained 4 CDs. 4 X 125 = 500 thousand. The RIAA and Record Company have NOTHING to do with each other when it comes to recording sales figures.

- It peaked at number 53 on the Billboard Charts due to the actual numbers of physical units it sold in the first week. Not the number of CDs included within each unit.

Last edited by Rdkopper; 04-16-2014 at 07:49 PM..