Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ

Robin Thicke: "I Had a Blurred Mind When I Said I Wrote Blurred Lines"

Other Bands

Old 09-16-2014, 07:06 AM
Something for the Posts

Default Robin Thicke: "I Had a Blurred Mind When I Said I Wrote 'Blurred Lines'"

"...Now That I'm Getting Sued..."
Quote:
Time.com: Robin Thicke admitted in court that he didn’t really help write the 2013 smash Blurred Lines — in part because he was high on the painkiller Vicodin when the song was being written...

The testimony was taken from depositions Thicke and Pharrell made in April as part of an ongoing legal dispute with the children of Marvin Gaye over whether or not Blurred Lines lifted beats and rhythms from Gaye’s 1977 song Got to Give It Up. Here’s how Thicke said he contributed to the writing of the song...
“I was high on vicodin and alcohol when I showed up at the studio. So my recollection is when we made the song, I thought I wanted — I — I wanted to be more involved than I actually was by the time, nine months later, it became a huge hit and I wanted credit. So I started kind of convincing myself that I was a little more part of it than I was and I — because I didn’t want him — I wanted some credit for this big hit. But the reality is, is that Pharrell had the beat and he wrote almost every single part of the song.
Williams said he was “in the driver’s seat” for this song, but explained that sharing credit is the norm for the music industry. “You know, people are made to look like they have much more authorship in the situation than they actually do. So that’s where the embellishment comes in.”
When asked whose words were used in the lyrics, Williams answered: “Mine.”Williams also said that it’s “Robin Thicke’s voice” that makes the song great: “Because it’s the white man singing soulfully and we, unfortunately, in this country don’t get enough — we don’t get to hear that as often, so we get excited by it when the mainstream gives that a shot.”
Thicke also admitted he lied to media outlets about the genesis of the song, like when he described the creative process to GQ:
“Pharrell and I were in the studio and I told him that one of my favorite songs of all time was Marvin Gaye’s Got to Give It Up. I was like, ‘Damn, we should make something like that, something with that groove.’ Then he started playing a little something and we literally wrote the song in about a half hour and recorded it.”
As for why, exactly, he lied, Thicke says that he “had a drug and alcohol problem for the year” and “didn’t do a sober interview.”
Not to put too fine a point to it, but the way these two are selling each other out while thousands of other musical acts are striving and starving to be in their shoes, I don't think either of them are worth the time it would take to spit on -- and I wouldn't take the time to spit on them if they were on fire.

-- though it's not suitable for either younger viewers or music lovers. Was Thicke too high to notice that he was surrounded by naked women, and Pharrell too gullible to realize that HE was supplying all the "soulful singing," when they made the video?

Remember how we used to talk about busting out? We'd break their hearts together...forever...

You and me and our old friends / hoping it would never end / holding on to never say goodbye...

Last edited by rocknation; 07-01-2023 at 08:04 PM.. Reason: Grammar

Old 09-18-2014, 10:26 PM
Keep the Faith

God it's really quiet in the world of Jovi...... you wouldn't take the time to spit........yet you took the time to read and then copy and paste the story plus side the video...
87 Donington
88 Birminham Nec x 3
89 MK Bowl
89 Birmingham Nec x 3
93 Birmingham Nec x 2
93 MK Bowl
95 Sheffield Don Valley
96 Manchester Maine Rd.
2000 Stoke Brittania
2001 MK Bowl
2006 Manchester/MK Bowl x 2
2008 Manchester/Twickenham x 2
2011 Manchester Old Trafford
2013 Villa Park

Last edited by dcj28; 09-18-2014 at 10:30 PM..
Old 09-19-2014, 12:18 AM
Something for the Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcj28 View Post
You wouldn't take the time to spit...yet you took the time to read and then copy and paste the story plus side the video...
I said they weren't worthy of my spit. They are MORE than worthy of my outrage!

Remember how we used to talk about busting out? We'd break their hearts together...forever...

You and me and our old friends / hoping it would never end / holding on to never say goodbye...

Last edited by rocknation; 07-01-2023 at 08:05 PM..
Old 03-11-2015, 01:10 AM
Something for the Posts

Default Update: The verdict's in

Quote:
Reuters.com: A jury awarded Marvin Gaye's children nearly $7.4 million Tuesday after determining singers Robin Thicke and Pharrell Williams copied their father's music to create "Blurred Lines," the biggest hit song of 2013.

Their lawyer...branded Williams and Thicke liars who went beyond trying to emulate the sound of Gaye's late-1970s music and copied the R&B legend's hit Got to Give It Up outright...

Jurors repeatedly heard...Blurred Lines and saw snippets of its music video, but...not...Got to Give It Up as Gaye recorded it...Rather, (they heard) a version created based solely on sheet music submitted to gain copyright protection. That version lacked many of the elements — including Gaye's voice — that helped make the song a hit...

Gaye died in April 1984, leaving his children the copyrights to his music.
Serves them right for not being able to throw each other under the bus fast enough.

It they knew the video would be played in court, they DEFINITELY should have settled, LOL! But maybe it's not too late for them to file an appeal on the grounds that there were too many feminists on the jury!

Last edited by rocknation; 06-10-2020 at 12:44 AM..