Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ

These Days - Johannesburg 1995

General BJ Discussion

Old 01-24-2015, 10:20 AM
Jovi FANatic

Default These Days - Johannesburg 1995

I have always loved this live version from Johannesburg 1995, or at least the b-side that appeared on some of the These Days singles. However, I was listening to a bootleg of the entire show the other day and when These Days came on, it sounded different from what I remembered. Curious, I stuck on the officially released version and sure enough, there were some very big differences in the
vocals (most notably right before the second chorus and during the last chorus) and if I remember correctly the second half of the guitar solo was different as well. I know overdubbing/splicing together different performances is a common thing when it comes to official live recordings but I couldn't help but feel a little cheated.

While on the topic, does anybody know if these alterations were indeed studio overdubs or were they "flown in" from other performances to patch the rough bits?
April 24th, 2009 at The Joint, Las Vegas, Nevada
February 20th, 2010, Key Arena, Seattle, Washington
March 6th, 2010 at MGM Grand, Las Vegas, Nevada
March 25th, 2011 at Rogers Arena, Vancouver, BC
March 26th, 2011 at Rogers Arena, Vancouver, BC
October 2nd, 2013 at Rogers Arena, Vancouver, BC

Old 01-24-2015, 11:43 AM
Jovi FANatic

Send a message via ICQ to Johny

There were two shows in Johannesburg, November 30, and December 1. They often have the dates mixed up. For example Rockin' In The Free World from OWN live wasn't played on Dec 1 (Helter Sjelter was the opener) but on Nov 30.
"If you got a dream, no matter what anybody tells you, if you think that you’ve got to go for it, then you should go for it, because you’ve got one life. And the next time somebody tells you: ‘You can’t do that’ you can tell them to screw themselves, because it’s your life and you do what the hell you want with it. So this is a song about having a dream and chasing it, till you find the Bright Lights." - Aldo Nova.
Aldo Nova - Bright Lights
Old 01-24-2015, 12:59 PM
Posting everyday

Johny is right about that - the show broadcasted on TV was presumably from December 1st while at least the B-side recordings of These Days and Rockin' In The Free World (and I think Letting you go as well) were from the first show on November 30th.