Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ

Did you ever wonder why....

General BJ Discussion

Old 02-25-2015, 01:20 AM
Retired Super Moderator
Crush

Default Did you ever wonder why....

Bon Jovi doesn't have a Star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame?

It's because they're bought, not bestowed.

Sometime in the 90's, three friends and I got the idea that it would be a great idea to get Bon Jovi a Star on the Walk of Fame. One of these friends had an "in" with Jon's mom and she shared the idea with her and she gave us the go-ahead to look into it. I'm a little fuzzy on the details because it was 20 or more years ago, but we had to have a biography, a certain number of signatures, and a fee.

The biography was easy. I wrote it and it was pretty damn good. Mrs. B. gave it her seal of approval.

The signatures would have been easy too.

But when Jon found out about the idea of fans raising money for the Star, he nixed the idea. I think the fee was $6,000 at the time. It's considerably more now.

I think if you look back in the history of Backstage newsletters there's even a reference to our plan, but nothing ever came of it.

So... if Bon Jovi ever gets a Star it will be because the record company bought it as a publicity stunt. They'll smile and act all humble and talk about what an honor it is, but it will just be a stunt, nothing more.

I have a friend now (not a Bon Jovi fan) who is really into the Hollywood Scene and she's always telling me about how so-and-so got a Star on the Walk of Fame and I keep telling her that it's NOT an honor at all. When I found out that they were for sale, it kind of killed some of the "magic" for me.

I wonder if Jon will ever give in and get one. Maybe for the bands' 50th anniversary?

Knowing that the Stars are for sale, do you want to see Bon Jovi on the Walk of Fame or not?

Old 02-25-2015, 02:28 AM
Jovitalk Award Winner
I'll Post When I'm Dead

Send a message via AIM to Kathleen Send a message via MSN to Kathleen

I lived in Southern California for a while when was age 15 to 20. I hated it with a passion and I haven't changed my mind after all these years. It doesn't surprise me one bit that an honor such as that can be bought.

I hope this story is true and I hope that Jon continues to want nothing to do with it.

The REAL honor - is all those people in the concert hall, willing to pay the price of a ticket without being coerced. Just because they they thought the band was awesome and they wanted to hear it. Kind of like myself, who was willing to pay the price of a ticket to Europe so that I could hear the songs that they refuse to sing here in the US.

THAT was an honor (thought I doubt that the band gave a shit).

You write your truth and I'll write mine.
Old 02-25-2015, 06:08 AM
Price of posting

Send a message via ICQ to Sambo-Chris Send a message via MSN to Sambo-Chris

Fans from Backstage wanted to buy them one once but Jon made them stop it. He didn't want one.
Old 02-25-2015, 02:17 PM
Retired Super Moderator
Crush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sambo-Chris View Post
Fans from Backstage wanted to buy them one once but Jon made them stop it. He didn't want one.

Yeah, that's the story I was just telling, Chris.
Old 02-25-2015, 02:50 PM
Wanted Dead or Alive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky View Post
Yeah, that's the story I was just telling, Chris.
Becky, are you sure it was in the 1990's that you and your friends started this? Because it was definitely started by someone on backstagejbj but it was in the early or mid 2000's. (and I think that's the one Chris is taking about) Maybe this has been done twice?

The star price has gone up to $30,000 now and as before, whoever the star is for has to want it and show up for the ceremony. What a joke. It's no honor, it's a money making thing.

Old 02-25-2015, 03:39 PM
Retired Super Moderator
Crush

Yeah, when we were doing it it was in the 1990's. I was in college and it was back when Jon's mother was running the fan club because my friend was talking to her about it. My bio went to HER. They were still doing actual newsletters in print form then. If someone on Backstage tried it again, I'm unaware of it because I'm no longer a member. I can't justify paying what they charge for an "online" fan club.