Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ

Jon or Richie - Who's the better singer?

General BJ Discussion

View Poll Results: Who's the better singer?
1980s - Jon 20 47.62%
1980s - Richie 2 4.76%
1990s - Jon 34 80.95%
1990s - Richie 10 23.81%
2000s - Jon 13 30.95%
2000s - Richie 5 11.90%
2010s - Jon 11 26.19%
2010s - Richie 7 16.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-18-2015, 04:41 PM
Blaze of Posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by semigoodlookin View Post
Can he hit more notes and has a wider range? I am really asking as I don't know.
Yes, even now with how much of his voice has gone downhill his range is still superior to Jon's, and I think it always was. Richie always sang backing a third above Jon for a reason, which gave the band that signature sound vocally that the fans love. There's a few songs (namely on These Days) where the arrangement was made that Jon sang higher than Richie but mostly it's been the other way around throughout the bands career. Richie's lower range sucks btw, but technically can still hit the same lower notes Jon can....

Old 05-18-2015, 04:48 PM
Posting Always

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn View Post
This isn't a straight forward poll. Who is the better singer ? Ie a superior voice that can hit the notes and have a wider range ? I have had to vote for Richie.
Its deliberately up to you how you define "better singer"; objectively, based on who has the better range, etc or subjectively, based on whose sounds you like the most.

I'm interested to see which you'd choose based on the vague wording. If you forced me I'd probably have to admit that Richie is more skilled nowadays given that Jon whines in order to high notes. However, I'd still rather listen to Jons half assed attempt than Richie on good form.

In the poll I voted Jon for 80s, 90s, 00s and Richie for 2010s based on the fact that I'd still rather hear Jon in the 2010s but I have to conceed Richie is probably sings with more unbridled passion/drunkness than Jon nowadays.
26th June 2010, The O2 Arena, London.
8th June 2013, Manchester Ethiad Stadium.
19th June 2019, Liverpool Anfield Stadium.

Last edited by Matrix15; 05-18-2015 at 04:54 PM..
Old 05-18-2015, 06:47 PM
Lay your Posts on Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javier View Post
Yes, even now with how much of his voice has gone downhill his range is still superior to Jon's, and I think it always was. Richie always sang backing a third above Jon for a reason, which gave the band that signature sound vocally that the fans love. There's a few songs (namely on These Days) where the arrangement was made that Jon sang higher than Richie but mostly it's been the other way around throughout the bands career. Richie's lower range sucks btw, but technically can still hit the same lower notes Jon can....
Thanks, that's interesting. Proves to me that having better technique or the better voice does not matter, I think Jon is comfortably better (taking both in their prime) and I am a big fan of Richie's Stranger voice. Jon for me was one of the best rock voices, despite not being outright better than many singers. He had a package and I just don't see Richie being able to drive the Bon Jovi songs the way Jon does.

Sort of like Richie on guitar, he was never the best technically or in terms of composition or his chops. He had a package though.

Sad to see how both have dropped off in recent years in all aspects, it's really soured my feelings about the band.