Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ

Maroon 5 China Gigs Cancelled for Dalai Lama Birthday Tweet

Other Bands

Old 07-22-2015, 12:54 AM
Something for the Posts

Default Maroon 5 China Gigs Cancelled for Dalai Lama Birthday Tweet

Quote:
Inquistr.com: Thanks to a misconstrued casual tweet, it looks like the band Maroon 5 will have to cancel their China tour. The tweet came from Jesse Carmichael (below, second from right), the keyboardist, rhythm guitarist, and backing vocalist of the band:

The tweet was posted on July 6, but we haven’t seen a trace of it since then, indicating that the musician realized his error and removed (it)...

The first Dalai Lama was inducted under Chinese communist rule, and the man who (now) holds the position...(though) living in exile in India...is one of the most revered spiritual and temporal leaders of Asian culture, particularly in China and Tibet...(S)uch an informal address of the revered leader is unheard of in China...

(T)he tweet...was met with heavy backlash by both fans and government...(T)he band has decided to cancel both their Shanghai and Beijing shows...
Shangai List.com: ...(W)hile many web users...complain(ed) about the canceled tour dates, others seemed pretty supportive:
“When it comes to matters of a country’s dignity and territorial claims, there can be no compromise. Musicians should stick to music and do their thing. Why bother with politics?”

“It’s okay to have political opinions, but it’s not okay to be illogical. Does he (Jesse Carmichael) have any idea what Dalai Lama has done in Tibet?”

“Country before idol."

“Such a shame. I really liked their song 'Sugar.'”

"I believe Jesse did not mean any malice. I also understand the government's attitude. The fans are the ones who suffer."

"Does attending a friend’s birthday party equal agreeing with his political views?"

Maybe this is the reason why Jon now claims to have "apolitical" friendships. And Maroon 5 has six members? Well, there weren't ten thousand maniacs.

Remember how we used to talk about busting out? We'd break their hearts together...forever...

You and me and our old friends / hoping it would never end / holding on to never say goodbye...

Last edited by rocknation; 02-09-2016 at 07:51 PM..