Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ Mark Forums Read

Would you be OK with Shanks joining the band?

General BJ Discussion

View Poll Results: What if Shanks joined Bon Jovi?
Great / OK 10 20.00%
Nah / F**k no! 30 60.00%
Don't care 10 20.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-31-2015, 05:32 AM
These Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam D View Post
If my memory serves, Kevin Shirley produced Mr. Big Time and Howard Benson produced What Have You Got. Shanks must have been busy at that time.
I think I might not have heard Mr. Big Time for, at least, the last five years. Totally forgot that it rocked that much.

(+ Santiago 09/24/2013 | Buenos Aires 09/26/2013 | Buenos Aires 09/16/2017)
These Days!

Old 08-31-2015, 08:55 AM
Something for the Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelsambo View Post
Kevin Shirley is also great and would be my first choice
His work on the last Iron Maiden album was weak though. He was good in that one Journey album but with Maiden he's not good.
Old 08-31-2015, 11:00 AM
Hardest Part is the Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by yomamasofat View Post
His work on the last Iron Maiden album was weak though. He was good in that one Journey album but with Maiden he's not good.
Seems like this thread has gone totally off the track. Do you really think Jon is going to choose one of your 'producers'? So what's the point? It's like when I read that someone would like Satriani to take Richie's place lol.

Going back to the original question; the guitar work on BB is the best since These Days. I think it would be great if John toured, he's they guy that writes and plays... in theory it would be silly to get someone else in to tour. But then in practice, he's a busy guy...

Sent from my SM-G530FZ using Tapatalk
Old 09-07-2015, 08:25 PM
Suddenly

no
Old 09-08-2015, 02:42 AM
Just posting

Shanks IS part of the band in the studio - now he needs to complete his job on stage - I think it would be a lot better to have the musician who made the songs perform on stage - it is more logic to me, then the band would be a band.
I can't believe I am writing this but - honestly - to have just Jon involved in the creation process on stage is a problem for a BAND (unless Dave writes and works for Bon Jovi next time but so far BB is Dave less)

I vote yes not because I love Shanks but because Shanks would complete the process as a band

(I have no clue if he is a good guitarist live but at least he would perform his songs)
Old 09-08-2015, 03:26 AM
The Distance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovimimi View Post
Shanks IS part of the band in the studio - now he needs to complete his job on stage - I think it would be a lot better to have the musician who made the songs perform on stage - it is more logic to me, then the band would be a band.
I can't believe I am writing this but - honestly - to have just Jon involved in the creation process on stage is a problem for a BAND (unless Dave writes and works for Bon Jovi next time but so far BB is Dave less)

I vote yes not because I love Shanks but because Shanks would complete the process as a band

(I have no clue if he is a good guitarist live but at least he would perform his songs)
That logic makes no sense. What about the other 12 albums? Phil is replacing Richie, Shakes just played on BB.

So you want to drop Phil and have John relearn all Richie's songs because he helped create BB? And then there is a rumor that Phil will be playing on the new album so now logic even becomes more twisted...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Old 09-09-2015, 10:09 PM
Destination any Forum

Send a message via MSN to crashed

Or the fact that Hugh did most of the bass studio work and they just had Alec for the live shows when they were the biggest band in the world?

Since the music industry began their have been songwriters, or session players who help create music but don't appear on the stage. Whilst I see your nostalgic viewpoint of the "idea" of a band, Mirielle, the reality has always been very different for anyone who makes it out of their local pub or club gigs.
Old 09-10-2015, 02:49 PM
Hardest Part is the Night

Yes, if there is no chance for Richie, then Shanks is better than someone
Old 09-11-2015, 11:51 AM
Suddenly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounce7800 View Post
When will people except that Bon Jovi haven't been a rock band for many years? They are what they are and that's where Jon wants to be.
Totally, HAND is the last real rock record they made. It is also the last record that had proper solos.

Jon has become a Bruce Springsteen wanna-be in the last few years. Burning Bridges is supposed to be songs that he "liked" so it's obvious what he prefers these days.
Old 09-11-2015, 12:28 PM
Keep the Faith

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey78 View Post
Totally, HAND is the last real rock record they made. It is also the last record that had proper solos.
Really? I can only remember Last Man Standing and Have A Nice Day having proper solos.
I wanna be loved has some rhythm work, Welcome has some acoustic chords, Who says has as much of a proper solo as all recent songs have, Bells of freedom has some chord strumming, Wildflower has some of Bobby's strumming, Last cigarette got some (nice) sliding but it ain't too special, I Am has a little bit of a proper solo, Complicated has some kind of melody played what is meant to be a solo, alright Novocaine is accepted and Story of my life is again some repeated strumming which ends with some unisons and a little lick.
If those are all proper solos, than please tell me what we got on The Circle in When we were beautiful, Bullet, Thorn in my side, Brokenpromiseland or Love's the only rule?