Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ

A Cool Cover Band Story

General BJ Discussion

Old 08-22-2016, 02:23 AM
The Distance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
Give me a drink (or two) and a Zeppelin cover band and I am a happy camper.
Get The Led Out! They play Count Basie every May....

Old 08-22-2016, 07:16 AM
The Voice of Reason
Destination any Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjovi90 View Post
That's what Bounce do and that's why I like their shows a lot and don't feel they're just pretending to be Bon Jovi. They give it their own spin and just try to capture the spirit of the song which (well, mostly) works.
Wow! They certainly do go quite deep with their playlist. I do remember this topic coming up in the past between us. I'd love to see them or a band like them, but living in Southern California we only get the mimes. I give one of the local ones credit for doing Tokyo Road and Edge of a Broken Heart, but they are largely tied down to what a casual American audience will appreciate.... and it isn't going to be Good Guys Don't Wear White or These Days done with an orchestra.

I do remember viewing the performance of Lay Your Hands On Me with the full stage show. Good stuff all around. They are the perfect opportunity to hear songs that Bon Jovi themselves are not doing, such as Real Life or Dirty Little Secret. I'd love to hear their take on Because We Can and This House Is Not For Sale. They certainly did well with We Weren't Born To Follow.
Old 08-22-2016, 07:30 AM
Posting everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleeding Purist View Post
I'd love to hear their take on Because We Can and This House Is Not For Sale. They certainly did well with We Weren't Born To Follow.

Around 19:20 BWC gets played.
Old 08-22-2016, 04:20 PM
Dry County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdkopper View Post
The title is tribute band opinions... Maybe you should join Backstage... IMO Bon Jovi are one of the hardest acts to cover... forget the ones that try to look and perform like Jon... Just talking vocally and musically... Say what you want about Jon (including these current times) but the guy puts his own stamp on his songs... Maybe I'm just super critical but I've seen tons of BJ cover acts and never walked away with any real satisfaction. Even that cover act Bounce sounds off to me... The band is great , the singer is okay but his accent throws me off... I think he'd be great covering someone else, I just don't know who...
I'm with you on this one. Bounce are a good band, the singer is a good to great singer, but it just doesn't sound (anywhere near) like Jon singing. The accent is different, and he has something to his voice that would fit other bands/styles better, I guess. Still, good effort and maybe I'll see them live sometime
Old 08-22-2016, 05:38 PM
Undiscovered Posts

really?
I didn't know them before and was impressed by them really. Actually, I think there's something in the band that isn't full enough, I mean the guitar player is really good but nowhere near Richie or Phil and you can hear this fast.

However, the singer Really does sound like Jon of the 90's to me... If you listen to KTF or Always - I'm not sure if I would guess it's not Jon singing 20 years ago.

https://youtu.be/z6T9160lwp8?t=1m28s
Old 08-22-2016, 07:46 PM
Posting everyday

I actually agree with the fact that Olli doesn't sound too much like Jon, especially in terms of his accent and phrasing. But like some others of you state when Jon's deteriorating state of vocals get discussed - live shows cover a lot more than YT videos.
When I find myself singing along I don't notice it that much at all. What's great about this band is that they can play all the songs in the original key and hearing Bon Jovi's best rock tunes with that amount of energy (and the high notes in Prayer + the screaming in Runaway) is just great. It's not that it replaces a show from the original, but it somehow reminds of what the original could do that is lost nowadays and therefore I like them so much. Plus they always hang around after each show and have long chats with the fans that came around to see them.
About their guitar player - no he definitely is no Richie and technically surely no Phil. But he's actually the one who has improved the most over the years and on good days (he also has his "sloppy-Richie-days") his phrasing and his licks are stunning as well. I remember hearing a Dry County rendition from them in 2012 which was so passionate and full of energy that it beat both Dry County performances I got from Bon Jovi in 2011 and 2013.

One of my favourites also was this acoustic medley, even though he messed up some lyrics:

Last edited by bonjovi90; 08-22-2016 at 07:57 PM..
Old 08-22-2016, 10:45 PM
Price of posting

I do not like cover bands. But there is a cover of this band that I really like.

Jon should bring back this song in some way to his shows.
Old 08-23-2016, 08:37 AM
The Voice of Reason
Destination any Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
I have seen some cover bands that are cringe worthy - but I have also seen some that have made me "almost" as happy as the real thing.

To this day I prefer Jovi - but they are still out there playing and I get to see them. Ditto for Springsteen, though I have to give a shout out to the B Street Band which has been around forever and sounds great. I'm not sure I have ever heard of a Southside cover band.

But - going backward - I am not going to see Pink Floyd live ever again and a few of the cover bands are damn good, Blue Floyd and Brit Floyd especially. Ditto for Led Zeppelin (may they RIP). I am not going to see them again (damnit) so the closest I am going to get is a good cover band. And there are a few that play Jersey that are damn good. Give me a drink (or two) and a Zeppelin cover band and I am a happy camper.
This is exactly how I feel. Two of the biggest tribute bands here in the LA area are "Which One's Pink" and "Led Zepagain." "Which One's Pink" is completely professional musicians (as in: other projects, working in the industry here) that essentially have no limits when it comes to the entire catalog. They sell out the venues they play. They are very engaging to watch having quite a bit of their own charisma.

I'll never get to see Bowie, so a tribute is the only way I'll get to hear his music done live in -person. We get the most well known out there, David Brighton, who is essentially approved by Bowie himself. He actually does look and sound like Bowie, but I still found the miming of Bowie to be distracting. I'm not looking to pretend someone else is Bowie. The band is actually excellent, but they do nothing beyond Let's Dance. I want a band that just plays the music and will tackle "The Next Day" and "Blackstar." Both are albums that never saw the light of day on a stage.