Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ

This is why Bon Jovi will continue to make albums and tour

General BJ Discussion

Old 09-18-2014, 02:59 PM
Blaze of Posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolo_tomachi View Post
U2 have always been overrated, always. It's funny how some believe that 7 or 8 years ago, they made better songs than now. His last album lacks a true Hit, ok, but the whole songs is fantastic.

I hate this marketing around it, as if it were a big event, the second coming of Christ or something. But I do not have any problems with their new songs.
Rolo - there is a U2 thread in the other band section. This topic is about something different, you see? And since you post about random stuff, I will too. I was actually just wondering, how is it that your English still hasn't improved despite over 2000 posts? Surely you'd think there would be at least some form of improvement after writing so much crap on these boards. Hmm....

Old 09-18-2014, 03:09 PM
Jovi FANatic

ordinary love was a hit???? everyday was a bigger hit....
ordinary love's fail to make an impact along with the song they released was the reason 1.they pushed back the album release...2.also bono waNTS to be relevant that would almost anything to give u2 another hit...with all the media support who trully remembers their single???the miracle??? there are some good songs in there but i m tired of constantly putting down bj and using other bands to prove that bj suck...
Old 09-18-2014, 04:16 PM
The One And Only Real Backstage Killer
I'll Post When I'm Dead

Send a message via MSN to Supersonic

Aloha !

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsSon View Post
Oh yes yes yes! I apologise. The staples of the music industry that are Lithuania and Netherlands, of course.
Actually, and I'm not saying this because I'm Dutch, but The Netherlands are one of the more important countries in the world when it comes to deeming as to how succesful a single or a band really is. There's America and the U.K. as the 2 markets they're testing first, but once an artist wants international succes they'll start in Holland. I'm sure this wasn't what Walleris meant, just felt like pointing this out, being the Patriotic Dutch man of today.

Quote:
Ever heard about Who Says You Can't Go Home? A nightmare of a song. As empty and senseless as Vertigo - A LOT LOT bigger though in a market that actually matters.
No it wasn't. Vertigo was way bigger in the U.S.A. Who Says was a succesful single in America, yes, but it succes originated in the Southern States, where country music is a lot more popular than on the East and West coast of America. It's succes was huge hit for a limited market, unlike Vertigo, which covered many different markets.

Just because Bon Jovi kept bragging about their number 1 single on the country charts, doesn't mean U2 didn't do something equivalent on another, similar chart (releasing a Dance version of their song). Just look at the table below, showcasing just how many different markets in the U.S.A. Vertigo covered compared to Who Says.

Every single charts shows a different kind of market, with the Billboard Hot 100 on top compiling an average of all different markets. So yes, Vertigo was a bigger hit than Who Says was. If anything, Who Says illustrates why it's so difficult to have a huge national hit in the U.S.A. nowadays. There's too many genres being popular in too many different states. What can be huge in one state might be under the radar in the next.

Quote:
Have A Nice Day and You Make a Memory were at least at the same level as anything that U2 has done in the same period.
Which is why I added Have A Nice Day to the table as well. It shows quite well how much smaller its succes was compared to Vertigo.

Quote:
I was actually just wondering, how is it that your English still hasn't improved despite over 2000 posts? Surely you'd think there would be at least some form of improvement after writing so much crap on these boards. Hmm....
C'mon man, no cheap shots here, leave those for the other 2 retarded R's. And I do think his English has improved a lot, this was a guy who often used Google translate for his posts.

Quote:
ordinary love was a hit???? everyday was a bigger hit....
ordinary love's fail to make an impact along with the song they released was the reason 1.they pushed back the album release...
Yes, Ordinary Love was a hit. Sure, it wasn't the big hit like Everyday, but times have changed. The song cracked a lot of top 10's in many different European countries. That said, Ordinary Love was a bigger hit in the U.S. than Everyday or Misunderstood was.

But I doubt that the supposedly failure of the song was the reason they pushed back the album. It's most likely they pushed it back because it had to be released together with the iPhone 6. It's the marketing deal that pushed it back, not the failure of the single.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan
Old 09-18-2014, 04:34 PM
Blaze of Posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersonic View Post

Just to make sure I don't put you in the same bucket with the three R's (you know, S comes after R in most alphabets)...are you showing me that chart and telling me Vertigo was 'much bigger' than Who Says?
Old 09-18-2014, 04:36 PM
I'll Post When I'm Dead

Aloha !

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsSon View Post
Just to make sure I don't put you in the same bucket with the three R's (you know, S comes after R in most alphabets)...are you showing me that chart and telling me Vertigo was 'much bigger' than Who Says?
I'd like to be thrown in a seperate bucket thank you very much. But yes. Unless I misunderstood your post, weren't you just saying Who Says was a bigger hit in a market that actually mattered? Or were you talking about Vertigo?

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan
Old 09-18-2014, 04:43 PM
Jovi FANatic

ordinary love by no means was a hit imo...it was a u2 comeback and a mandella movie airing and still nth...today hits chart cause of downloading and airplay/promo by company but you cant tell a song hit by that...
u2 s new album was reportedly delayed because as bono said wanted to make it right, you are also right about the itunes promo but that wasnt the reason why this album took them 5-6 years...
anyway it ended a bj-u2 debate...it always has to be u2 or springsteen...for me the bottomline is this...u2 are trying for many years, since vertigo lets say to haVE a hit and they cant, its not because they are not great simply the times have changed...
since we started talking about u2 though and looks like they have too many admirers in here i d like to see someone criticize all that trend hunting/producer quest u2 have taken in order to help them, and i am sure danger mouse william and the others have a say in the production and the orchestration of the the compositions...why is this different when bj use outside collaborators ???cause of the credits???someone here believe danger mouse is only paid to say i like it or no??
Old 09-18-2014, 05:06 PM
I'll Post When I'm Dead

Aloha !

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikos greece View Post
ordinary love by no means was a hit imo...it was a u2 comeback and a mandella movie airing and still nth...today hits chart cause of downloading and airplay/promo by company but you cant tell a song hit by that...
If that's not how you determine what a hitsingle is, then how can you? The downloading replaced the physical copy, and the airplay/promo by a record company has always been there. It wasn't much different 20 years ago, the only difference is the longevity nowadays. Not a whole lot of songs are hits for, let's say, 5 consecutive weeks, simply because people have a lot more access to the next big thing. The cycle is going a lot faster, but even then, yes, Ordinary Love was a hit. It was included in most radio playlists and charted in most countries.

Quote:
u2 s new album was reportedly delayed because as bono said wanted to make it right, you are also right about the itunes promo but that wasnt the reason why this album took them 5-6 years...
It'd be nice to have Bon Jovi record an album and then decide it wasn't good enough. Isn't that what everyone was saying after the release of What About Now? They should've taken longer? Sure, the outcome of U2's stuff is still dire, but at least they seem to care. Personally, I think their vision is bland and repetitive, but they seem to be creating something with a vision and believe in it, where Jon's sole vision is his need to cover as many markets possible with the least amount of creativity used.

Quote:
since we started talking about u2 though and looks like they have too many admirers in here i d like to see someone criticize all that trend hunting/producer quest u2 have taken in order to help them, and i am sure danger mouse william and the others have a say in the production and the orchestration of the the compositions...why is this different when bj use outside collaborators ???cause of the credits???someone here believe danger mouse is only paid to say i like it or no??
I am by no means a U2 admirer, but you seem to be post out of frustration here.

The difference with Bon Jovi is that U2 works with artists they seem to like and then try to get them involved in their music, where as Jon is so stuck in his habits and vision nowadays that he keeps trying to work with hit producers of the past, and does things that were deemed relevant a year ago and wants to get involved in their music, as opposed to the other way around.

Michael Jackson used to do the same thing, work with current producers and DJ's, because those people would be capable of producing the sound he wanted. Say what you will, but it's how he remained relevant for such a long, long time. He was one of the few artists capable of capturing the sound of an era in his own music, without making it sound dated. U2 does the same thing, on another level, with another vision. And then there's Jon, who works with Shanks because it's safe for him, and he thinks the man knows what the market wants. He doesn't seem to believe in his own vision anymore simply because he's out of touch with what's currently popular. I think Bono's taste in music has evolved, where as Jon has completely stood still for the last 20 years.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan
Old 09-18-2014, 05:21 PM
The Distance

I knew this thread was going to turn into a tit for tat of the two.

They are both so different, so huge, and so hard to compare. Each market is different even here in the US. There are so many variable factors that could alter the comparisons. A year in the music business is an eternity, U2 doesn't tour and put as as many albums as Bon Jovi, and the list goes on.

Generally speaking, I think U2 might be a tad bigger than Bon Jovi but not by much and not in every market either.

U2 is a bigger touring band globally but hey also don't tour as often either so that could weigh into it.

As far as singles and albums, they seem a little more even matched. One album could sell better than the other but then the one that sold less could have had a higher charting single. Unless they were both released in the same year, at the same time, it's really hard to determine.

I saw U2 live for the first time a few years ago after hearing all the hype and I wasn't overly impressed. I was never a huge fan of that style of mood music so hearing it live didn't change the way I felt.
Old 09-18-2014, 05:48 PM
Jovi FANatic

Seb the way to judge a hit single is by its performance in the social media, especially the you tube views and the torrentz downloads, imo these 2 are some strong indications...i like u2, i have all their discography BUT i m annoyed with all the praise they get...ordinary love????it won a golden globe and was nominated for an oscar...for gods sake...as a musician i m gutted with the music industry today, u2 of course are far from the worse act these days they are pushed to the top in a way that seems unethical to me these days...just my opinion of course...
and i didnt refered to you when i wrote about the u2 admirers/fans...it s just annoying when everyone tries to find a way to put down the band...its a different thing to say sth negative and back it up and completely different to constantly say that everything in bj is wrong while the others like bruce and bono make only wise artistic moves...
and the whole thread imo is a bit off...bj arent making money???? they need more money??? u2 or springsteen should always come in to prove that bj arent good enough...it comes to a point that i wonder how come some guys spend so much time here when obviously have so many other favorite bands..

Last edited by nikos greece; 09-18-2014 at 05:55 PM..
Old 09-18-2014, 06:52 PM
The Distance

This is pretty impressive and I'll give credit where credit is due:

U2 have released 12 studio albums and are among the all-time best-selling music artists, having sold more than 150 million records worldwide. They have won 22 Grammy Awards, more than any other band, and in 2005, they were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in their first year of eligibility.