General BJ Discussion

Old 10-16-2014, 08:34 PM
The One And Only Real Backstage Killer
I'll Post When I'm Dead

Send a message via MSN to Supersonic

Aloha !

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseDaysEra View Post
pretty sure he quit smoking. His vocal cords aren't 'shot' people. I know it sucks to listen to him struggling and whining but he's a remarkable singer with a remarkable voice. He's a better singer than he was 20 years ago, well, technically.
No he isn't. He's got a total lack of technigue, probably because his range is gone, and he tries to hit the notes any way he can. Seeing them pull all those weird faces to cram out the notes to the verses of When We Were Beautiful is ridiculous. Just watch the credits of that beloved documentary of himself.

bonjovi90 is on the money;

Quote:
As soon as he realized that he couldn't go for the notes anymore (around the HAND tour) he adapted a different singing style (by e.g. using his "fish mouth technique") to push the maximum out of what was left of his range. He had a good ride with it for about 3 years, but I think it demanded even more of his chords than before (since he seemed to be "pushing" the notes more and more) and killed the rest of what he had left vocally.
What also doesn't help is him doing these tours and trying to cram in as many shows in 1 year as possible, which is very interesting on a financial level. If he'd just take more breaks in between shows, but more importantly, in between legs, he'd have kept his voice in a much better shape as well.

There's the 1 hour with total buzzkills at every start of the show to warm up his voice and play it safe, then there's the bunch of hits, and then there's the encore where he tries to give all he's got left. That goes on for a year, and then he's completely off. Apart from the few minutes before and after the show, there's no real warming up, and there's no real cooling down.

All of that, his smoking, the travelling to foreign countries, different temperatures, climates and his allergies have given us Jon Bon Jovi, the leadsinger who isn't much of a singer anymore in a band that isn't much of a band anymore.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan

Old 10-16-2014, 09:09 PM
The Distance

I will lose this argument every time and still stand by my reasoning. Jon Bon Jovi would still sound the same today regardless if he ever smoked or not.

When you have someone shooting steroids into your throat night after night, it will eventually catch up with you. The dude sang his heart out and would scream that signature scream of his even when he had no voice left in him. You have to be a real special person to sing as high as you did in your 20s as you do in your 40's and 50's.

Adele already had vocal surgery at 24. You think she'll be singing the same at 52?

Smoking didn't help Jon's voice but not the reason for Jon's current vocal state. No Way!
Old 10-16-2014, 09:12 PM
The Distance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdkopper View Post
Smoking didn't help Jon's voice but not the reason for Jon's current vocal state. No Way!
This actually shows how clueless you are.
Old 10-16-2014, 09:21 PM
I'll Post When I'm Dead

Aloha !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thierry View Post
This actually shows how clueless you are.
Yeah, that and his other 2.671 posts. Hatseflats!

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan
Old 10-16-2014, 10:00 PM
The Distance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersonic View Post
Aloha !

Yeah, that and his other 2.671 posts. Hatseflats!

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan
2.671 are 1% of my posts so I'd say that plays into my favor you big dummy.

Ah Duh... I call someone out for making stupid posts and I make a stupid mistake calling them out. Typical Seb

Last edited by Rdkopper; 10-16-2014 at 10:06 PM..
Old 10-17-2014, 11:44 AM
The Distance

Send a message via ICQ to Iceman Send a message via MSN to Iceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdkopper View Post
Yes
Ever heard of Paul McCartney?

Quote:
Let's not get carried away. He doesn't do 4 hour gigs. He has but not regularly.
No, he regularly does 3,5 hours. And he has done gigs over 4 hours, I know, I was at one when he played way over 4 hours.

Quote:
He's a raspy singer so that's why he could still sing his songs. I've heard Jon do wonders to Bruce songs but did you ever hear Bruce sing a Jovi song? The few that's he tried were a complete mess. He can't even come close to hitting those notes. Bruce will play it off like he don't know the song but in reality, he's just using that as an excuse.
Jon's a raspy singer as well. And I've heard Bruce sing Bon Jovi songs, with Jon and Bruce sounded better than Jon. As to hitting the notes, like I said, Bruce can sing anything he's ever recorded as they were recorded, Jon can't. And Jon can't even sing the notes Bruce hits these days. Plus, Bruce is a good 10 years older than Jon.

Quote:
No Way! That song don't even compare to a Prayer, Always, Bad Name, etc on a vocal level. Not even close. If so, which parts?
Yes way! You're not a singer, I gather. It's not only about the high notes, it's about the spaces to breathe, how long you stay in a certain register, how long the notes are etc. Saturday's chorus is a bitch to sing, much harder than Prayer. And Bad Name is a breeze to sing, it's one of the easiest songs of the whole 80's catalog. Always has a pretty hard chorus, but Sat Nite is up there as well.

And it's got the high notes as well. Sat Nite's chorus goes
G# G# A G# F# E E - A A G# F# E E B F# G# F# E.
(Hey, man, I'm alive, I'm taking each day and night at a time)

Always is
E - B A G# G# F# E E b c# G# F#
(I will love you ba-by, al-ways)

and the "high part"
G# G# G# G# G# A G# B
(I'll be there till the stars don't shine)

G# G# A G# G# G# G# A G# B
(till the heavens burst and the words don't rhyme)

So, they're in the same key and they have same notes. The difference is that Always has more breathing space and it goes lower during the choruses as well, which relaxes the voice. Sat Nite goes into the high register and stays there for the whole chorus, with more high notes (B's in this case), which Jon doesn't even try to sing now.

So, yes, Sat Nite is one of the hardest songs to sing. At least if you sing it like it was recorded and performed in the 90's.

And smoking kills your voice. Fast. Another thing that damages your voice is drinking "hard" alcohol (over 20%), which dissolves the lining in your throat. If you sing after that, you cause damage to your vocal chords. Every time.

Also, many 40 or 50 year-olds can sing just as high as they could in their 20's. There are many in the music business as well. The probable reason of why Jon can't do it is the fact that he's not taking care of his voice, and that he didn't take care of it back in the day. If he took as good care of his voice as he does of his body, he could sing a lot better.

Yes, your voice changes (the timbre, the tone), but your range doesn't have to diminish, it can even grow wider. It's all in the technique and the care you give your voice.

Ice

Only dead fish go with the flow.
Old 10-21-2014, 03:54 PM
I'll Post When I'm Dead

Aloha !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
And it's got the high notes as well. Sat Nite's chorus goes
G# G# A G# F# E E - A A G# F# E E B F# G# F# E.
(Hey, man, I'm alive, I'm taking each day and night at a time)

Always is
E - B A G# G# F# E E b c# G# F#
(I will love you ba-by, al-ways)

and the "high part"
G# G# G# G# G# A G# B
(I'll be there till the stars don't shine)

G# G# A G# G# G# G# A G# B
(till the heavens burst and the words don't rhyme)

Ice
You honestly expected him to get that? I'd be surprised if he's capable of saying the alphabet in the right order.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan
Old 10-21-2014, 04:25 PM
The Distance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersonic View Post
You honestly expected him to get that? I'd be surprised if he's capable of saying the alphabet in the right order.
Nope. But the next thing he would've demanded were the proof, so I saved myself some time. Also, someone else might've thought like him, but does understand music theory, so maybe I saved a little time there as well. I'm big on time saving.

Ice

Old 10-21-2014, 04:26 PM
Posting Always

You gotta love a couple of bullies.
Old 10-21-2014, 04:49 PM
The Distance

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickolai View Post
You gotta love a couple of bullies.
Yes, a couple of bullies who brought nothing to this thread. Unlike you.

I suggest you go through my posts and your posts from the last few years. And think about who's the bully after that. Who's the one attacking every thread with nonsense, non-informative posts that are only meant to piss people off. Like my explanation of singing clearly was.

Ice