Guess the lyrics to WE DON'T RUN

New Bon Jovi Releases

Old 07-24-2015, 02:52 PM
Posting Always

Quote:
Take you one day back, I'm

Not afraid of burning bridges
I can hear that "I'm" too.

But I still can't buy "bless" whatever you think you heard, guys. I hear a B or a P sound + "-urs" as in "burst", not "-ess" as in "bless". Or "first" maybe?

I can't find the right words but "bless" really seems awkward here. He's listing places and natural events so I'm expecting another item that relates those things to the narrator (I can clearly hear "I'm"), not an appeal to divine intervention or help.
Moreover, tear = weakness, which is in total opposition to the rest of the vocabulary and meaning of the song. When you stand your ground, you're tough, you don't cry.
I have no idea what the correct sentence is but the context calls for another "I'm tough/I'm a brave warrior and today's a good day to die" statement:
There's fire in the sky/There's thunder on the mountain = there's natural danger all around but I'm standing tall, I'm not afraid, I'll fight and I'll survive.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 07-24-2015, 04:35 PM
These Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Joysey View Post
I can hear that "I'm" too.

But I still can't buy "bless" whatever you think you heard, guys. I hear a B or a P sound + "-urs" as in "burst", not "-ess" as in "bless". Or "first" maybe?

I can't find the right words but "bless" really seems awkward here. He's listing places and natural events so I'm expecting another item that relates those things to the narrator (I can clearly hear "I'm"), not an appeal to divine intervention or help.
Moreover, tear = weakness, which is in total opposition to the rest of the vocabulary and meaning of the song. When you stand your ground, you're tough, you don't cry.
I have no idea what the correct sentence is but the context calls for another "I'm tough/I'm a brave warrior and today's a good day to die" statement:
There's fire in the sky/There's thunder on the mountain = there's natural danger all around but I'm standing tall, I'm not afraid, I'll fight and I'll survive.

Just my 2 cents.
I agree. It still doesn't feel right to me, but I can't figure it out either, The other thing that's been bugging me is the last word in the line. Here I think someone suggested it is "run". When I first heard it I thought he said 'and the dirt I was born in won" as in "my sinful nature beat me" but that would only make sense with an opening phrase to set it up.

I know I'm spending way too much time thinking about it. Last night I dreamed Alvin and the Chipmunks were dressed like Jovi in the 80s and singing "Bless these fields and the shirt that I toil in..." And I was yelling "That's it! That's what he's saying!" But then I woke up and, alas...

Phonetically, what I hear is "(bare-sheet-steel) and the dirt I was born in won" (or "one", as someone else suggested).

Other than that, I got nuttin'.
Old 07-24-2015, 04:37 PM
This Post Feels Right

Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieBlue View Post
I agree. It still doesn't feel right to me, but I can't figure it out either, The other thing that's been bugging me is the last word in the line. Here I think someone suggested it is "run". When I first heard it I thought he said 'and the dirt I was born in won" as in "my sinful nature beat me" but that would only make sense with an opening phrase to set it up.

I know I'm spending way too much time thinking about it. Last night I dreamed Alvin and the Chipmunks were dressed like Jovi in the 80s and singing "Bless these fields and the shirt that I toil in..." And I was yelling "That's it! That's what he's saying!" But then I woke up and, alas...

Phonetically, what I hear is "(bare-sheet-steel) and the dirt I was born in won" (or "one", as someone else suggested).

Other than that, I got nuttin'.
I took it as either "Ruuuuun" or "Woooooah".
Old 07-24-2015, 04:52 PM
Posting Always

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieBlue View Post
Last night I dreamed Alvin and the Chipmunks were dressed like Jovi in the 80s and singing "Bless these fields and the shirt that I toil in..."
*thumbs up* VIDEO! VIDEO! I SCREAM FOR IT ON SCREEN!
Old 07-25-2015, 01:56 AM
Blaze of Posting

Billy Falcon involved in this?
Old 07-25-2015, 02:00 AM
This Post Feels Right

Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsSon View Post
Billy Falcon involved in this?
I think I read just Shanks and Jon.
Old 07-25-2015, 11:03 AM
Posting everyday

Personally, I don't get the fuss about that line.
To me it's clearly: "bless each tear and the dirt I was born in, ruuuuuun"
It also fits the context for me: he's a fighter, struggling through hard times, but not giving up etc. It's the same old story we've heard over and over (lyrically). These are the kind of lyrics Jon craps out in 15 minutes and "bless each tear" is one of those typical cliché lines he writes (and that song is full of these).
He probably didn't think about it half as much as we did
I listened to it in the normal version, the chipmunk one on YT and the slowed down one that I posted that sample from. Sure, the hideous way of processing his vocals and the fact that he doesn't properly pronounce everything anymore doesn't help, but still it sounds quite clear to me. And I tend to say that my young ears (no offense to the older people here!!!) are usually quite good and spot on

Last edited by bonjovi90; 07-25-2015 at 12:35 PM..
Old 07-26-2015, 06:44 PM
It's my post

I hear:

'Been a shit year, an' I hurt Sambora'

I could be wrong though.
Old 07-26-2015, 10:06 PM
These Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS8MB0R8 View Post
I hear:

'Been a shit year, an' I hurt Sambora'

I could be wrong though.
You could be, but that's too funny!
Old 07-31-2015, 09:51 PM
Posting Always

And the winner is...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_PQ...ature=youtu.be

I edited the first post.

Here's the other line that even "young ears" couldn't get right
Dancing with the devil
To get one day back! ah

Last edited by Old Joysey; 07-31-2015 at 10:35 PM..