Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ

Will Bon Jovi Get a Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction in 2016?

General BJ Discussion

View Poll Results: Will Bon Jovi Be Inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2016?
They will not be nominated. 16 66.67%
They will be nominated but not inducted. 6 25.00%
They will be nominated and inducted. 2 8.33%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-31-2015, 10:39 PM
Jovi FANatic

If Guns N' Roses got inducted, then Bon Jovi deserves to be there. They will be nominated in a few years.

Old 07-31-2015, 11:05 PM
Posting Always

They'll never be nominated, look who the chairman of the board is!
http://www.futurerocklegends.com/Nom..._Committee.php
and Dave Marsh is a well-known anti-BJ too.
Steve is pro-BJ but he's quite alone in this.
I see that Tom Morello has joined the committee last year, interesting!
Old 08-01-2015, 12:36 AM
Jovitalk Award Winner
I'll Post When I'm Dead

Send a message via AIM to Kathleen Send a message via MSN to Kathleen

Dave Marsh has a major beef with Jon and always has. He calls him "The Jersey Pretender". I posted about this ages ago.

http://www.drycounty.com/jovitalk/bo...5-does-t68748/

I think this article was from August 1996. It was posted on backstage as there was a thread posted on Jon sometimes responding to posts on message boards. Any way, thought it was funny to read again. Oh and Dave Marsh, is the guy that wrote Bruce Springsteen's biography.

Jackass' Bon Jovi sticks it to critic

Edited by Scott Roesch

The way we see it, a person's entitled to change his or her mind. But not everyone is so magnanimous. Rock-and-roll superjournalist Dave Marsh, for example, took offense when Jon Bon Jovi performed at Bill Clinton's fiftieth-birthday bash last month at Radio City Music Hall. The Jersey rocker, you see, had been a high-profile Republican supporter; he backed the Bush campaign in 1992. But Jon's had a big change of heart since then, which was evident as he gyrated his way through "That's All Right, Mama" for the commander-in-chief who, as you know, is a huge Elvis fan. On August 18, the day of Bubba's birthday party, Marsh posted this message to the Velvet Rope, an online newsgroup:

I wonder if anyone backstage will have the guts to walk up to the talentless little Jersey opportunist and say, "Hey, Bon Jovi! Remember back in '92 when you turned up at the Bush party and were quoted on the front page of the New York Times saying, 'I'm normal. I'm a Republican'? Are you doing this as a spy, a traitor, or just because you're a jackass who can't stand to turn down a high-profile gig? What a useless pud! (And that goes double for the birthday boy.)
Well, Jon just began dabbling on the Net this summer, but he seems to have already grasped the finer points of flaming. His response?

dear dave,
being Gods Gift to journalism must be tough.
Why don't you stick to writing Kiss Ass bios
It's America and you can change your mind GROW UP.
And if you got something to say do it in person.
Jon Bon Jovi

Naturally, when we bumped into Jon last week, the first thing we asked was whether he and Marsh really did duke it out online. (This may come as a surprise, but people do occasionally make stuff up on the Internet.) "That was my letter," said Bon Jovi. "I answered him. You bet I did." As for his political about-face, "I don't vote for the party," said the actor-musician, "I vote for the man, and for the platform." Besides, "I had too much respect for the office [of the president] to consider partisan politics. Why don't people respect the office enough to say, 'Wow, what an honor, to sing at the president of the United States' birthday party'?" Jon added that he likes Clinton's stances on abortion and gun control, and he likes Hillary too, which is why he plans to vote for the Democratic ticket come November. "You know," he concluded, "I just don't think Bob Dole is the answer."

Reached for comment Tuesday morning, Marsh wasn't overly impressed with Bon Jovi's explanation. "I hate to escalate matters," he said, "but is he running for office? Most of the people I know who are telling lies that bald are running for office. What does it mean, saying 'I'm normal. I'm Republican' one year, and this respect-for-the-office stuff the next? He wasn't endorsing George Bush [in 1992], but the Republican party. The guy is extremely dishonest or stupid or both."

It doesn't look like there's an easy answer to this feud, so perhaps it's appropriate to leave the final word to a neutral third party. The Johnny Cash song "The One On the Right is On The Left," a ballad about a band that disintegrates due to political feuding, may sum up the situation best. The advice given to folks in the music business is--take note Dave and Jon--"If you have political convictions, keep 'em to yourself."

You write your truth and I'll write mine.
Old 08-01-2015, 10:42 PM
Jovi Addict

Look, I'm a Bon Jovi fan and love their songs but just because they are a global success 30 years on doesn't mean that they are a seminal rock band who should be in the RRHOF. There are many artists who still deserve to be inducted who were/are 1) less successful 2) ignored/forgotten by the public but who played a part in changing music. Do you truly think that Bon Jovi is an iconic band that has influenced music in a significant way? They are very very good at what they do (and I wouldn't call them "New Jersey pretenders") but I don't see them as creative leaders in the field of music. Maybe if they are still touring after 40 years they might get a nod just because of longevity.

Old 08-01-2015, 10:52 PM
Destination any Forum

Send a message via MSN to crashed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SadieLady View Post
Look, I'm a Bon Jovi fan and love their songs but just because they are a global success 30 years on doesn't mean that they are a seminal rock band who should be in the RRHOF. There are many artists who still deserve to be inducted who were/are 1) less successful 2) ignored/forgotten by the public but who played a part in changing music. Do you truly think that Bon Jovi is an iconic band that has influenced music in a significant way? They are very very good at what they do (and I wouldn't call them "New Jersey pretenders") but I don't see them as creative leaders in the field of music. Maybe if they are still touring after 40 years they might get a nod just because of longevity.
I don't really see Kiss as creative leaders of music either though and they got inducted so *shrugs* but then we've discussed this many times on the board.

But did they influence music? I'd say pretty much the entire eighties rock scene had a lot to do with them.

Last edited by crashed; 08-01-2015 at 10:54 PM..
Old 08-01-2015, 11:29 PM
Retired Super Moderator
Crush

I'd say a lot of 2000's country was influenced by them too. And certainly bands like Nickelback and Train can't deny being influenced by Bon Jovi.
Old 08-04-2015, 06:54 AM
It's my post

There's no chance they'll get nominated, IMMFOMF.
Old 08-04-2015, 11:42 AM
Wanted Dead or Alive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky View Post
I'd say a lot of 2000's country was influenced by them too. And certainly bands like Nickelback and Train can't deny being influenced by Bon Jovi.
Agreed. One (of many) stumbling block is that they haven't actually influenced any bands who themselves would make it into the RNRHOF.

I'm very skeptical about the Hall, I think it has a major inconsistency in terms of what merits are required to be entered, however, I get why Bon Jovi arent in it.

They are a very powerful, commercial touring and once upon a time recording entity, but 'artistically' they are basic and haven't been influential to any new artists that the Hall would deem credible. They certainly haven't shaped music in the same way a number of current entrants have.
Old 08-04-2015, 12:34 PM
These Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by SadieLady View Post
I see your point, but given the list of current inductees, it doesn't seem like such criteria is applied so strictly, that Bon Jovi couldn't get the nod. If we only had "iconic bands that influenced music in significant way" as you put it, the whole RnR HOF roster would be a hell of a lot thinner.
Old 08-04-2015, 01:50 PM
Retired Super Moderator
Crush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleris View Post
I see your point, but given the list of current inductees, it doesn't seem like such criteria is applied so strictly, that Bon Jovi couldn't get the nod. If we only had "iconic bands that influenced music in significant way" as you put it, the whole RnR HOF roster would be a hell of a lot thinner.

Exactly. I'd say most of the acts that are in it have not been very "influential." Heck, half the acts in it aren't even "Rock and Roll" anymore.