Home Register Members FAQ

Falling for 'Lost Highway' again

General BJ Discussion

Old 09-27-2016, 06:28 PM
Destination any Forum

Send a message via MSN to crashed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda View Post
Lost Highway is the only album written in the last 15 years that I even am remotely interested in. I don't understand the comments on lack of inspiration or being uninspired or anything like that. I really think Jon genuinely loves this album. It's why every setlist every night gets at least 3 or 4 songs from that album, still.

And to be honest, I see Richie all through the album.

I see songs about pain, realness, suffering and longing. I also see songs about joy and happiness. There's emotion leaked through it, whether you like the style of music or not.

Now we get the biggest load of bullshit where Jon keeps singing about the economy. What a load of shit. Thanks, Jon.
Livin' On A Prayer was about the economy

Lost Highway's still one of the poorest albums for me, even though Make A Memory and Whole Lot Of Leaving and even Lost Highway itself are good songs - but I just never listen to it other than the odd play of those tracks (mainly Memory as it was my wedding song.)

That and having Whole Lot Of Leaving and We Got It Going On forced down my throat at every show despite the fact Leaving killed the atmosphere - it's one of the very few Jovi albums I'm negative about. On the odd occasion I stick it on I'll probably enjoy it like I do every single Bon Jovi album in their own way, but I'd never think....oooo I really want to listen to Lost Highway today.

Last edited by crashed; 09-27-2016 at 06:38 PM..

Old 09-27-2016, 07:53 PM
Just posting

Send a message via MSN to Panda

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashed View Post
Livin' On A Prayer was about the economy
It sure was. But it was also a really well told story about two lovers trying to make it through.

And also the song didn't suck

The songs now are these awful rehashes that go nowhere.
Old 09-27-2016, 08:26 PM
Destination any Forum

Send a message via MSN to crashed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda View Post
It sure was. But it was also a really well told story about two lovers trying to make it through.

And also the song didn't suck

The songs now are these awful rehashes that go nowhere.
Haha Work For The Working Man was probably the only awful rehash but then, I kinda' liked it when it came out and I appreciated what they were trying to do which was a Prayer version II - though now when I listen to it I do cringe.

Except for that bridge, which has the worst lyrics ever, but that goes somewhere!
Old 09-27-2016, 08:57 PM
These Days

I love Lost Highway. It's the last album that contained some really great lyrics from Bon Jovi. Most songs on that album are really relateable unlike the latest outputs.

First time I heard that album I was pretty struck about how great I thought Summertime was, even though I understood it was really cheesy. It didn't take long until I undestood everyone else hated it

Anyway, standout sound Make a Memory, WLOL, AOD and (if we count bouns tracks) Lonely and Walk Like a Man. Regarding Lonely, DAMN what a great song! Shame it was considered to similar to Memory.
Old 09-28-2016, 10:37 AM
Livin' on a Post

For me, LH is their best album since These Days. Nothing on that record feels contrived or forced and I think it has a nice organic quality. I highly doubt 'This House...' will be on par although I'm very much looking forward to it.

@JayChapperz
Old 09-29-2016, 01:04 AM
Just posting

Send a message via MSN to ticos_stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDJOVIMAN View Post
Lost Highway was/is a Masterpiece.. i really like the Live Album release for the Tour...but the European Tour 2008 wasn´t their best.. compared to 2011
I saw both tours and preferred 2008.

2008 saw the band with a bounce in their step. I think the unexpected success of Lost Highway, Jon's mobility and vocals edges it over 2011, which is slightly over rated in my eyes. There was some great set lists but on paper isn't where it counts.

Lost Highway was definitely the last strong album the band released. I enjoy the melancholic feel to it.