Home Register Members FAQ

New Studio Album - Forever

New Bon Jovi Releases

Old 03-17-2024, 05:51 PM
Something for the Posts

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovi98 View Post
Maybe my thought is against the grain, but i would like also a song co-wrote with Hugh.
Does Hugh even write?
Old 03-17-2024, 05:51 PM
Something for the Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovi98 View Post
When some BJ songs have some co-writers (mostly occasional and new) it means that the major part of the job in the writing process it was made it by them, not Jon right?
I don't think that's the case at all. I think it really depends on the song and how it came about.
Old 03-17-2024, 05:56 PM
Jovi Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinny View Post
Does Hugh even write?
I think no, but i wish Jon would give him a chance to write something.

Hugh is also a big part of the band and in my opinion something good could come out.
Old 03-17-2024, 06:14 PM
Posting everyday

On some posts, I'm lost for words...

Hugh's been in this business now probably around 50 years. He's not written with anyone else or solo, probably because he doesn't aspire to or maybe just doesn't have the creativity. But sure, Jon should consider him.
Maybe also Matt and Obie O'Brien. They've toured with / been in the studio for Jon for decades. Something good might come out of this.
Old 03-17-2024, 06:38 PM
These Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinny View Post
Does Hugh even write?
Hugh have actually co-written two songs with David Bromberg Band in 1977 and 1978. Not meaning anything in this case but I thought could be a fun side fact for those who didn’t know. Bandit In a Bathing Suit and Baby Breeze are the songs if you wanna check em out.

To comment the subject, obviously it would be cool to have more co-writes between Jon and other members but it’s obvious he simply doesn’t see it a good fit except Richie. I doubt that David wouldn’t have wanted to be more involved through the years but I guess there’s simply no writing chemistry between the two. Shanks and Falcon are pretty much the only two guys Jon seems intetested to write with these days.
Old 03-17-2024, 06:46 PM
Jovi Addict

The songs Hugh has co-wrote...

Last edited by Jovi98; 03-17-2024 at 06:56 PM..
Old 03-17-2024, 08:59 PM
Jovi Freak

Just because somebody plays an instrument and is in a band, or in this case, in the band, doesn't mean they can write something that will work with that band. There's skill (very different from performing) and there's a stylistic fit.

Based on what I've heard from The Drills, Phil is not a writer in the context of pop/rock. He can do some show-offy licks and stuff, but as far as coherent songs go that convey an emotion in a radio-ready package, no.

Also keep in mind that Bon Jovi are not an after school project by friends. Recording a song costs them money, in a professional studio. Sure you can shoot the shit and record stuff for fun as bonus tracks. Not that these are much of a thing any more, but that would be the extent of it IMO. If JBJ and friends presented the record label a collection of Drills b-sides, they would light Jon's ass on fire.

The one guy from the band Jon should co-write with is Richie.
Old 03-17-2024, 09:13 PM
Jovi Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphavictim View Post
Just because somebody plays an instrument and is in a band, or in this case, in the band, doesn't mean they can write something that will work with that band. There's skill (very different from performing) and there's a stylistic fit.

Based on what I've heard from The Drills, Phil is not a writer in the context of pop/rock. He can do some show-offy licks and stuff, but as far as coherent songs go that convey an emotion in a radio-ready package, no.

Also keep in mind that Bon Jovi are not an after school project by friends. Recording a song costs them money, in a professional studio. Sure you can shoot the shit and record stuff for fun as bonus tracks. Not that these are much of a thing any more, but that would be the extent of it IMO. If JBJ and friends presented the record label a collection of Drills b-sides, they would light Jon's ass on fire.

The one guy from the band Jon should co-write with is Richie.
Agreed. I really like Phil X, but in songwriting terms, it's a no-go for Bon Jovi perspective. To me, Drills sound like a bar band. I don't think Jon lacks songwriting partners, skills or inspiration in the last decade. But so many promising songs (that I even forgot about) since WAN at least have been drowned in wrong production directions. General public, including fans, generally don't have idea of what could of been regarding a song. We all know that Prayer is a classic of rock and roll history. Would it be a classic without talkbox and killer bass-line? In my opinion, no way. But this is not due to "inspiration" or "songwriting", its production choices of great producers in most cases.

Pick any modern Jovi song you kind of like. Then imagine changing the tempo a bit, reduce wall of sound (make bass or guitar really audible), force Jon 2 more hours in studio and force him to be aggresive on hooks/outros, give Richie/Phil X 10 more seconds, let David do some piano licks somewhere. With different set of choices, Bon Jovi woud have few more hits after HAND and several more good songs in eyes of most loyal fanbase. In my eyes, Shanks is not bad because "pop" or "sellout", but because lack of hits, lack of success. In the end, if you say it's too late for hits, fair enough, but then change the producer for sake of change, its been 20 years now of Shanks literally. Even if he was music god resurrected I would change him for sake of freshness. If he's a friend, okay keep him involved in some capacity, but this is life's work and multi-million dollar enterprise, and keeping Shanks in producing control is against everything CEO Jon preaches normally

EDIT: To pinpoint this even more, take this video of recording IML

And now imagine Shanks as a producer. Not Shanks who did HAND single (very good in my eyes, for the purpose and time). But Shanks best friend of Jon, when Jon has a meeting in an hour with, I don't know, JBJ Soul Foundation or Clinton or Football team owner. Are the vocals gonna be like they are in IML, at the very edge of Jon's ability, aggressive and engaging? Or are they more akin to We don't run chorus? Is IML hit after that, regardless of other possible (bad) choices in production? IML is also wall of sound produced, but with a purpose, similar to Californication album of RHCP (supposedly the most "loud" album in history).

Last edited by bonjovi_cro; 03-17-2024 at 10:16 PM..
Old 03-17-2024, 10:16 PM
Blame it on the love of posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphavictim View Post
Based on what I've heard from The Drills, Phil is not a writer in the context of pop/rock. .
if you check out his work outside of the drills...you'll see he can write anything
he adapts easily to different genres
Old 03-17-2024, 10:44 PM
Something for the Posts

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelsambo View Post
if you check out his work outside of the drills...you'll see he can write anything
he adapts easily to different genres
Can you post some examples? I know as a guitar player he's done a lot of different styles, but I'm not familar with anything he's written outside of The Drills.

Tags
forever (album)