Ten Classic Bon Jovi Albums Presented As Special Editions

New Bon Jovi Releases

Old 07-04-2010, 08:04 PM
This Post Feels Right

Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersonic View Post
Aloha !

There wasn't any extra guitar player on the Bounce tour and those songs worked just as well live as any other song.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan
They worked, yah, but it relied FAR too much on samples. It totally took any spontaneity out of the performance. For as much as having Bobby around angers people, it lets them do a whole lot more.
Old 07-04-2010, 08:48 PM
Next 100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinfan View Post
I think it is because he does that on the second, third, and last chorus. I noticed he did that on LH Tour, too, but not all the time. Plus the vocals and backing vocals all add up to be LH era.
I just remember being more impressed with his voice on the LH tour, but I'll take your word for it. It's another example of the bonus tracks not being as awesome as they could be. Some work great and some just sound like "fill the CD" live songs. The soundcheck kind of stuff I personally enjoy, but if someone that wasn't a huge fan bought one of the SE CDs as their copy of the album, they may think differently. Ahh well!
Old 07-04-2010, 08:51 PM
Next 100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supersonic View Post
Aloha !

There wasn't any extra guitar player on the Bounce tour and those songs worked just as well live as any other song.

Salaam Aleikum,
Sebastiaan
They did work just as well, but I'm a purist type of guy and I get really annoyed with any band doing samples live. It's going to happen, I know, but I'd rather have another guitarist onstage playing the music in the background and Dave doing it on his keyboard. However, I don't think he should be doing any solos, unless they did pull out some of Destination Anywhere.

I really don't mind Bobby as much as people seem to around here. As long as he eventually leaves some of those solos alone, I think he's good to have. Dave seems to love him being there.
Old 07-04-2010, 09:16 PM
This Post Feels Right

Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Pitts View Post
They did work just as well, but I'm a purist type of guy and I get really annoyed with any band doing samples live. It's going to happen, I know, but I'd rather have another guitarist onstage playing the music in the background and Dave doing it on his keyboard. However, I don't think he should be doing any solos, unless they did pull out some of Destination Anywhere.

I really don't mind Bobby as much as people seem to around here. As long as he eventually leaves some of those solos alone, I think he's good to have. Dave seems to love him being there.
Agreed. If there's a way for Dave to play em without flat out sampling them, do it. I remember reading around here that the taped backing vocals are why Living on a Prayer will never change it's electric arrangement. Can the same be said for It's My Life? I'm pretty sure it uses sampled vocals as well, and would certainly explain the lack of change.
Old 07-05-2010, 12:10 AM
Dry County

Send a message via ICQ to Johny

i think the problem or my problem with Bobby is that he is not here as a second guitarist, he is there in the place of live playing sample - he is just filling the sound, not playing second guitar.
Example: I love the way IML solo is done on the record - there is the rhythm guitar playing very lound and that's something I expected Bobby's contribution is but it is not.
I think so low in the mix that I can't hear him. I was at the O2, the sound was excellent but I didn't hear him. There were two exceptions - he plays the lick at the very beginning of WWBTF and when Jon calls him to play some jukebox song. Apart from that, you can't hear him. He is just filling the sound, not playing the econd guitar. Second example could be that Jon has kept all of his guitar parts - Sleep, Crash, just all of them, nothing has really changed. I just don't like that there is a guy with such strabge role. What's worse, he is given the spotlight to make up for him but it results in disasters like ITA solo etc... I don't like this concept. I think, that rock and roll needs two guitars and I always loved that Bon Jovi can make with just one with a little help from Jon. But if there is a second guitar, let's use to add something positive, to enrich the sound but not act like a live sample to ease it for David. They shoud not write song based on multi-layer guiatars, they did not need it from 1984 to 1995 so why now?
I think the best example of too much of guitar samples is Hook Me Up..
"If you got a dream, no matter what anybody tells you, if you think that you’ve got to go for it, then you should go for it, because you’ve got one life. And the next time somebody tells you: ‘You can’t do that’ you can tell them to screw themselves, because it’s your life and you do what the hell you want with it. So this is a song about having a dream and chasing it, till you find the Bright Lights." - Aldo Nova.
Aldo Nova - Bright Lights
Old 07-05-2010, 02:19 AM
Next 100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_jovi View Post
Agreed. If there's a way for Dave to play em without flat out sampling them, do it. I remember reading around here that the taped backing vocals are why Living on a Prayer will never change it's electric arrangement. Can the same be said for It's My Life? I'm pretty sure it uses sampled vocals as well, and would certainly explain the lack of change.
I agree about Dave. He could play the guitar parts to fill in the sound, but I'd prefer it to sound like keys as opposed to a guitar. But I'm okay with Bobby. Yeah, It's My Life has some sampling in it.. which is what I meant by I know there are going to do it, but the less the better in my eyes.
Old 07-05-2010, 02:25 AM
Next 100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johny View Post
i think the problem or my problem with Bobby is that he is not here as a second guitarist, he is there in the place of live playing sample - he is just filling the sound, not playing second guitar.
Example: I love the way IML solo is done on the record - there is the rhythm guitar playing very lound and that's something I expected Bobby's contribution is but it is not.
I think so low in the mix that I can't hear him. I was at the O2, the sound was excellent but I didn't hear him. There were two exceptions - he plays the lick at the very beginning of WWBTF and when Jon calls him to play some jukebox song. Apart from that, you can't hear him. He is just filling the sound, not playing the econd guitar. Second example could be that Jon has kept all of his guitar parts - Sleep, Crash, just all of them, nothing has really changed. I just don't like that there is a guy with such strabge role. What's worse, he is given the spotlight to make up for him but it results in disasters like ITA solo etc... I don't like this concept. I think, that rock and roll needs two guitars and I always loved that Bon Jovi can make with just one with a little help from Jon. But if there is a second guitar, let's use to add something positive, to enrich the sound but not act like a live sample to ease it for David. They shoud not write song based on multi-layer guiatars, they did not need it from 1984 to 1995 so why now?
I think the best example of too much of guitar samples is Hook Me Up..
I hear ya and your opinion is a good one, haha, just not mine. I like him being there for the most part and I do hear him... he's really audible on the Lost Highway stuff (example, Whole Lotta Leavin), which we get a good bit of here in the US. I don't like the ITA solo one bit, but otherwise, I find him useful to their sound. I know they didn't need him back in the day, and they could do it without him, but apparently Jon loves the guy and is giving him a good job, while filling in the Bon Jovi sound to be just slightly closer to the records, even on the older stuff. A lot of slack is given to the band by some of the old school guys around here about how they used to be better, etc. I disagree... Jon's voice has had plenty of ups and downs, but to me, there is no question the band, with the music being played, it above where they used to be, even in the 90s. Richie doesn't shred as much these days, but when it comes to just sounding tight and full, I think they do that right on. I think Bobby has a SMALL part of that and now Dave gets to actually play a little more of what he wants to it seems. I've seen a few interviews with him to where he really talks about how useful he's found Bobby.

And yes... the funny thing is that guitar sample that plays through the intro isn't even audible on the record, ha. And I'll say again, I just don't like the idea of guitar sample. Have it be a guitar or not there at all.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:29 PM
It's my post

Bobby's not too good. I mean, he could play guitar better than I could, and that's because I've never picked up a guitar. He fills in in some spots, but Jon can play alot better himself (example: end of live versions of Runaway, end of some performances of Rockin' in the Free World). However, It's a disaster when he does the In These Arms solo. That's an awesome song, and the studio version has a very nice, fitting solo. But somewhere during the HAND tour, someone had a great idea to give Bobby that solo. Not smart. He also makes a funny face when he plays solos, like a face that someone would make if they're playing the most kick-ass solo. That would make sense if he was playing a solo like Richie does in Dry County or Next 100 Years, but not the type that Bobby plays. It's just one note for 20 yucky seconds. I have a quick, easy solution for this. GIVE RICHIE'S SOLO BACK TO RICHIE! And also, Bobby is only a touring musician. He doesn't help in the studio.

Last edited by TwinFan; 07-05-2010 at 10:33 PM..
Old 07-05-2010, 11:41 PM
Next 100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinfan View Post
Bobby's not too good. I mean, he could play guitar better than I could, and that's because I've never picked up a guitar. He fills in in some spots, but Jon can play alot better himself (example: end of live versions of Runaway, end of some performances of Rockin' in the Free World). However, It's a disaster when he does the In These Arms solo. That's an awesome song, and the studio version has a very nice, fitting solo. But somewhere during the HAND tour, someone had a great idea to give Bobby that solo. Not smart. He also makes a funny face when he plays solos, like a face that someone would make if they're playing the most kick-ass solo. That would make sense if he was playing a solo like Richie does in Dry County or Next 100 Years, but not the type that Bobby plays. It's just one note for 20 yucky seconds. I have a quick, easy solution for this. GIVE RICHIE'S SOLO BACK TO RICHIE! And also, Bobby is only a touring musician. He doesn't help in the studio.
bobby's okay as a guitar player.. he has a style that should be doing Bon Jovi solos. I like his work fine elsewhere. And I know he's only a touring guitarist.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:27 AM
Undiscovered Posts

Anybody??

Are the studio tracks on the Special Edition albums Re-Master??