Old 01-22-2015, 06:00 PM
Suddenly

Exclamation Bon Jovi sings John Lennon song & it's awesome

Hi guys,

Just wanted to share with you this video of Bon Jovi covering John Lennon
You'll like it: http://www.evergig.com/concerts/2013...ydney/Bon_Jovi

Old 01-23-2015, 12:12 AM
Jovi Addict

I remember this clip. I've always loved this song. Also some nice clips after the Lennon song.

Old 01-23-2015, 01:51 AM
The Distance

This has been shared and discussed back when the live stream was released back in December of 2013.

As far as the end result being "awesome", I would say this was a nice attempt at best. I would jump through hoops for a Jon vocal of this back in the late 80's / early 90's. This version is just ok at best. The BJ Staff backing vocal just kills the rest of the performance for me...
Old 01-23-2015, 05:00 AM
Blaze of Posting

This is the whole show if anyone was wanting to see what was played and how. Jon's voice is painful to listen to at times, especially that helium thing he started to do with his voice at the end of the tour to reach his higher register. On the plus side, I never knew they played Thick as Thieves as the album version. I thought they had only done the acoustic one....
Old 01-23-2015, 08:17 AM
Jovi Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdkopper View Post
This version is just ok at best. The BJ Staff backing vocal just kills the rest of the performance for me...
This would have been a cute moment for the audience. I thought it was cool that the female crew formed the "choir." Geez lighten up.

Old 01-23-2015, 12:27 PM
The Distance

Quote:
Originally Posted by SadieLady View Post
This would have been a cute moment for the audience. I thought it was cool that the female crew formed the "choir." Geez lighten up.
Right. And that was all said and discussed a year ago. The problem I have is.... this is the only live performance Jon did of this song plus it's in soundboard. Not everyone is going to remember that beautiful cute little story that you seem to be taken by. Ten years from now when new casual fans discover this, they are going to be like WTF.
Old 01-23-2015, 04:20 PM
Posting everyday

Quote:
Right. And that was all said and discussed a year ago. The problem I have is.... this is the only live performance Jon did of this song plus it's in soundboard. Not everyone is going to remember that beautiful cute little story that you seem to be taken by. Ten years from now when new casual fans discover this, they are going to be like WTF.
If in ten years from now any new fans (which I doubt) want to discover BJ and end up watching a stream from the BWC tour the out-of-tune-singing crew member won't be the problem. Everyone one with a little sense for the right key will have turned it off by the time Jon started murdering Bad Name
Old 01-23-2015, 05:07 PM
The Distance

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjovi90 View Post
If in ten years from now any new fans (which I doubt) want to discover BJ and end up watching a stream from the BWC tour the out-of-tune-singing crew member won't be the problem. Everyone one with a little sense for the right key will have turned it off by the time Jon started murdering Bad Name
Bon Jovi are a legendary band and there is no doubt that their music will live on. I'm not saying that fans will come full circle again like in 2000 but new fans will come about.

This song is not just some random bootleg cover. It's a soundboard of Christmas Classic that will surface every year around the holidays. I could see casual fans including this on their compilations and enjoying all those songs for years to come, as done with most artists... I think it was just a bad decision taking a questionable vocal and mix it with bad production (backing vocals) knowing that it was going to be released on a Soundboard and played every year for years to come. Casual fans won't care enough to know the real story.
Old 01-23-2015, 06:49 PM
This Post Feels Right

Send a message via AIM to Captain_jovi Send a message via MSN to Captain_jovi

Quote:
Bon Jovi are a legendary band and there is no doubt that their music will live on. I'm not saying that fans will come full circle again like in 2000 but new fans will come about.

This song is not just some random bootleg cover. It's a soundboard of Christmas Classic that will surface every year around the holidays. I could see casual fans including this on their compilations and enjoying all those songs for years to come, as done with most artists... I think it was just a bad decision taking a questionable vocal and mix it with bad production (backing vocals) knowing that it was going to be released on a Soundboard and played every year for years to come. Casual fans won't care enough to know the real story.
But no one is going to write off the band from one dodgy x-mas performance. Of course it'll get more views between November and December but there's tons of solid holiday covers they've done that this is a blip in a drop in a bucket, I think you're over-worrying.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:57 PM
The Distance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_jovi View Post
But no one is going to write off the band from one dodgy x-mas performance. Of course it'll get more views between November and December but there's tons of solid holiday covers they've done that this is a blip in a drop in a bucket, I think you're over-worrying.
I'm not over-worrying at all nor do I think anyone will write off the band because of it. I'm just making a clear statement as to why I think it was a bad idea to take a classic John Lennon Christmas song and butcher it with no skilled singers. Christmas songs are timeless and I was just making a general assumption.

This isn't just another version of Bad Name that will get lost in the shuffle.

Every Christmas from now until who knows, casual fans will search "Bon Jovi Christmas" and listen to someones playlist and this awful version will pop up every time. They are not going to think, research, or know the cute little story behind it all. They are going to say WTF is this and move on.

I think Jon's vocal is actually pretty decent but a little shaky at times and a good chorus definitely makes or breaks it here.