Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ

JBJ Financial Times interview

General BJ Discussion

Old 01-16-2017, 12:05 AM
Livin' on a Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSantaFe View Post
If Jon could still pull off his 80s and 90s material, and yet chose to release records like TC and THINFS (which I personally love), then this would be easier to accept. But it's easy for many fans (myself included) to believe that the type and style of music we get from Jon today is largely due to his decline in vocal range. If he could still belt out notes like in Santa Fe, would he really have released Beautiful World in 2013? I'd wager that the material would have been much different, but there's no value in that sort of speculation imo. Now I've come to accept and love THINFS for what it is, rather than what it isn't, and for what it represents both for the band and myself.
Although I understand that Jon's voice in 1990 was a hugely great musical instrument, I so not think that creating great songs demands vocal range. Take the DA album, it is great without vocal range, as for rockers, take Radio Saved My Life Tonite (as sung in Atlantic City live) or That's What The Water Made Me. Hell even "Something for the pain" is not super demanding vocal wise, but it kicks ass

Old 01-16-2017, 01:40 AM
These Days

Quote:
JackieBlue, I don't think you can definitively translate “I couldn’t sing in the shower!” and “I’m not exaggerating. I couldn’t f*cking sing...” to Jon straight up blaming Richie for his vocal issues...

So I believe it's quite likely that the Richie situation (along with the Buffalo Bills and UMG), coupled with the steadier decline we had seen since 2010, can be attributed to Jon's inability to perform to accepted standards.
I didn't translate anything; the reporters did that all on their own.

Quote:
The final straw came during the 2013 tour when the guitarist failed to turn up to a Canadian arena concert...The upheaval provoked a long period of musical inactivity after the tour ended. “I couldn’t sing in the shower!” [Jon] says. “I’m not exaggerating. I couldn’t f*cking sing.”

Other factors aggravated the turmoil...
The "upheaval [caused by Richie's departure] provoked a long period of musical inactivity". When that statement is followed immediately by a quote from Jon saying, "I couldn't sing..." it seems to me that the writer is implying that the reason he couldn't sing was a direct result of the upheaval caused by Richie leaving.

We know from comments that Jon has made that other things played a part in the disappointment he experienced, but it seems that this writer would have readers believe that those factors only aggravated the turmoil.

The Belfast Telegraph headline reads "Jon Bon Jovi: 'I couldn't sing after Richie Sambora's exit'." And the writer of that article is even more direct. The article clearly states:

Quote:
...Richie’s exit had a massive impact on the group's 54-year-old frontman - and his voice.

"I couldn’t (even) sing in the shower!” he told the Financial Times. "I’m not exaggerating. I couldn’t f**king sing."
So it seems like I wasn't the only one who thought that's what the FT reporter was implying.

Now, is that what Jon meant? I have no way of knowing. That's why I said "if the quotes are accurate." As I said, these articles reminded me of the articles by Mossman and Purcell that were discussed on this thread:

http://www.drycounty.com/jovitalk/bo...ng-jbj-t69749/

They all seemed to be a little too imaginative in some of the descriptive details, which causes me to wonder how "imaginative" they were with the facts they reported as well.

I agree that stress often plays havoc with performance in many areas of our lives; and I have no doubt that all the stress Jon has been under plays a part. But if I were a betting woman, my money would be on "the steadier decline we had seen since 2010" and those workaholic tendencies Jon seems to think he's left behind.

(If the quotes are accurate...)
Old 01-16-2017, 02:04 AM
Lay your Posts on Me

Quote:
....." Now I've come to accept and love THINFS for what it is, rather than what it isn't, and for what it represents both for the band and myself."

Perfectly said, wish I had been able to say it so succinctly.
I'm hoping the videos become a compilation that I can pick up a copy of. Wish the shows would be close enough for me to go. In the mean time, I'm enjoying the album. Nothing will ever top TD for me, but that wasn't the point imo - but to continue on. This interview had to be shortly after the election in the states, not a bad article all in all.