Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ

KTF an Evening With BJ rehearsal - Interpretation

General BJ Discussion

Old 09-23-2014, 06:35 PM
The Distance

Default KTF an Evening With BJ rehearsal - Interpretation

Just finished listening to both nights in their entirety. I recommend that every fan do that instead of just skimming through certain pieces of it. You truly get a real feel for the band at that point in time. I don't know if Jon and the band knew it was being recorded for a potential distribution but even if they did, you still get to dive into the band.

This was around the departure of our truly beloved Alec and they even showed a clip on the Behind The Music special of Jon and Alec exchanging words from this particular show.

After listening to these rehearsals, I kinda get it. Here is my interpretation.... Alec is a pain in the ass. He asks irrelevant questions and brings up things that were not part of the main focus. I actually think he had some good points but Jon wanted no part of anything he had to say. You could hear it in his voice. There was even a part were Alec had a technical issue with his ear monitors and Jon was still frustrated with him like it was his fault. If Alec was making mistakes like they said on BTM, it wasn't due to him not being a good bass player. I think it was from a lack of direction from Jon. Everytime Alec would bring something up, Jon would just shoot it right down. On the flip side, Alec did seem kind of annoying. There were parts when the music started flowing and all of a sudden Alec would have an issue and set them back. He gets heated at Richie a lot too but Richie handles him much better where he'll just shut-up and do whatever he tells him.

Jon on the other hand, is a brilliant leader. He is so passive. I've never heard someone be so direct and laidback at the same time.

It's no surprise now but this is Jon's band. He makes EVERY decision. Even when the guys make a suggestion, you could hear the pause while he thinks, and then he gives the final say.

For those who haven't listened to the entire rehearsal, you might think this thread is pointless but once you do, you'll want to talk about it.

I'm actually taken back by how brilliant Jon actually is. Especially when he dives into the music and calls out certain notes any keys. The guy hears everything and knows the best way to put it all together.

I just wish there was an actual video of it because I'd love to watch him work. Say what you what about him but he is a true artist, a real musician, and a gifted leader. Now I get why they've been around for 30 years. Jon would also be a brilliant producer.

Old 09-23-2014, 07:30 PM
Posting Always

And where do you find this?
Old 09-23-2014, 07:38 PM
Livin' on a Post

Send a message via AIM to trevrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoviForever View Post
And where do you find this?
Old 09-23-2014, 07:52 PM
Livin' on a Post

Send a message via AIM to trevrox

I'd love to know he's talking to at 28:30. Alec?
Old 09-23-2014, 08:14 PM
The Distance

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevrox View Post
I'd love to know he's talking to at 28:30. Alec?
LOl... It's possible. If you listen a minute before, Tico, Dave and Richie are all accounted for.
Old 09-24-2014, 08:38 AM
The Distance

Isn't there a topic about this already??

And RDkopper you know Jack-shit.
Old 09-24-2014, 12:42 PM
Posting Always

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thierry View Post
Isn't there a topic about this already??

And RDkopper you know Jack-shit.
That's not very nice
Old 09-24-2014, 11:27 PM
Jovi FANatic

interesting thread imo.
we can take a look how the band worked, they all were in the top of their game back then, a trully great show...for me its inspiring to see how they rehearshed every little detail especially the harmonies...there are very few rock bands outhere where almost everyone can sing...
i havent listened to it all but i will finish it tomorrow...through the song selection etc its obvious that jon wants to push them in the future selecting songs he believed were more appropriate...
i d love to have a nice dvd from this, the main show in high quality and an hour worth of material from the rehearshals the backstage etc. they obviously have material from the ocassion
if you think about it this era is just after the ktf when they were about to reach their peak as songwriters and performers with these days and always/saturday night imo of course.
keep the faith had the potential to be a unique record but certain songs with stronger 80s influence pulled it back and didnt help it reach it full potential, songs like i want you, woman in love and the lyrically poor if i was your mother...if they were a bit more brave in the song selection it would be even better
Old 09-25-2014, 04:56 AM
The Distance

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikos greece View Post
interesting thread imo.
we can take a look how the band worked, they all were in the top of their game
Thanks Nikos. These are the type of things that I like to discuss but only a handful of people here feel the same. They'd rather discuss Jon's hair, Richie's love life, and how much the band now sucks. It's not the 20 great years but the last 10 average ones.

Back to topic:

Rehearsals are the best because you could really dive into the heart of the band. Besides a few songs here and there, there really isn't too much stuff out there like this. I also think it's cool to watch Jon during sound check. He just stands there and sings an entire song with his arms folded.

And although there is a topic out there already, it's very high level. Not too much on the details within.
Old 09-25-2014, 08:26 AM
Jovi FANatic

since you ve listened to the whole video could you post some time links that you think are interesting like the one in 28.sth...?
it looks like there is a subtle dispute between alec and jon, jon says songs like stick to your guns wouldnt fit in the set, and alec says there are other cowboy songs there like blaze of glory..
jon is a great musician even if he doent get credit for it...he isnt fluent in any instrument apart from his voice but he directs the whole band and looks like a guy who really knows about record making and performing live ...how come this guy released what about now and thought it was a good record is beyond me...especially the robotic vocals of i m with you...
tico seemed to be more involved back then...alec's bass playing wasnt as bad as i thought it would be but still sounds like an annoying guy to work with, the whole band sounded great though, we may not realise it but there only few bands that can deliver rock music in such lvl, with great musicians and vocal deliveries.
i wonder if there is some magic still left in them or if bj as we knew them(till the circle era) are gone for good