Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ

The whole Bon Jovi vs Richie issue (fans' opinions)

General BJ Discussion

Old 10-07-2016, 12:23 PM
Hardest Part is the Night

Default The whole Bon Jovi vs Richie issue (fans' opinions)

Hi all,

I don't usually post, but all the comments I read, especially in the Richie threads, arouse my interest.

I disagree with most of the criticism towards Richie and the praise towards the new Bon Jovi era and I think I'm pretty objective. What do you reckon?:

It's true that Richie is no longer in his prime. Sometimes he can be a right mess (Livin on a Prayer anyone?) and at others he shows us he still has it (Made in America, though slightly off/All that really matters,..), but lots of fans seem to thrive on criticising everything he does. Let's take Aftermath: it has it's ups and downs, but honestly, walk beside you-seven years-broken wing is the best song Bon Jovi related song sequence since These Days (lyrics, melody, riffs, solos if necessary)...Blind love-die for-fingerprints is a close second. What we've heard from the new album sounds poppy, but still good quality wise and he is still capable of writing good rock songs and good ballads.

On the other hand, Jon is neither in his prime. I defend the criticism he receives regarding his voice: he pulls it off in the studio and still has it live, just go and enjoy the concerts...he gives it his all and the crowd buzz. However, when it comes to songwriting...no way. This songs on This House are the same old (bar a few exceptions); re-worked lyrics, riffs,... and where are the solos? Production and song-wise, it's going to be WAN 2 without the acoustic tracks (the best and most original thing Jon has done since Destination too...but the fans don't get it ). Burning Bridges had some decent, original songs with again...the best solos since These Days (and no Richie).
Richie is himself; Jon is still trying to be relevant in today's music world instead of being honest

Old 10-07-2016, 12:36 PM
Super Moderator
It's my post

Unfortunately, the main issue is there is a split in the fanbase with lots of fanboys/girls on each side criticising the other side relentlessly especially on social media.

Both sides have their issues from Jon's awful voice to some of Richie's shambolic performances but as a far of the band I'm looking to support both projects but sadly some people picked a side and won't accept anything from the other side being good.

To be honest, it seems to be the same with everything these days: politics, sports etc.. Pick a side and sling mud at the other side. It's disappointing and childish and something I can't understand as a fan of the band and their music that people have such opinions of the band members personalities that clouds them to the point of spoiling their enjoyment of the music.

We could end up with a decent Bon Jovi album and a Richie Sambora album in quick succession which is double the new music so not actually a bad thing despite the split.
* Shepherds Bush 1998 (Richie) * Wembley Stadium 2000 * Milton Keynes 2001 * Wembley Arena 2002 * Hyde Park 2003 * Ricoh Arena 2006 * St Marys 2006 * Milton Keynes 2006 * O2 Arena 2007 * St Marys 2008 * Manchester 2008 * Ricoh Arena 2008 * Ashton Gate 2008 * Twickenham x2 2008 * O2 Arena x8 2010 * Hard Rock Calling 2011 * Shepherds Bush 2012 (Richie) *Etihad Manchester 2013 * Villa Park 2013 * Hyde Park 2013 *O2 Islington 2014 (Richie) *London Palladium 2016 * O2 Arena 2016 (RSO)

*Twitter * * YouTube*
Old 10-07-2016, 12:47 PM
Destination any Forum

Send a message via MSN to crashed

From my point of view I've just never really enjoyed Richie's solo work - there have been a few outstanding songs (Father Time, The Answer, Seven Years Gone) but nothing that reaches me like the work with Bon Jovi did.

Richie along with Jon will always be one of my heroes - and whilst he was a member of the band I had interest in those solo projects - and even still have a vague interest as I did buy Aftermath and even downloaded Orianthi's album to see what she was about.

But nothing he does solo I think will ever reach the same level as Bon Jovi - I think without the band Richie is directionless and clearly lost. At the same time as much as I'm enjoying Bon Jovi's new direction - it will always be missing some magic without Richie there, and that I blame on Richie for leaving, whatever his reasons were.

It does get a bit silly though - I had a Richie fan defriend me because they didn't agree with my point of view (and that's someone I've been friends for 13 years!)

Last edited by crashed; 10-07-2016 at 01:02 PM..
Old 10-07-2016, 01:12 PM
Next 100 Posts

I prefer Aftermath over the last few Bon Jovi albums but that's my taste. It's kind of like arguing what kind of food is best.
Old 10-07-2016, 01:15 PM
Wanted Dead or Alive

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashed View Post
It does get a bit silly though - I had a Richie fan defriend me because they didn't agree with my point of view (and that's someone I've been friends for 13 years!)
That's just ridiculous. For fans to become so passionately embroiled in the drama - for opinions to overrule basic respect and ruin relationships. At the end of the day Richie and Jon are just people, and people grow apart; priorities change. No one needs to choose a side or place blame on any one party.

A lot of fans can't help but bring up Richie at every opportunity when discussing the band - and the inverse for discussing Richie's solo career/RSO. It would be much nicer if we all let each party carry on as they please, and critique each output on what it is, rather than what it isn't. But the temptation is always there to pick at what you don't agree with - I am guilty of this too!

As for the current situation. I'm not holding my breath for the RSO album, but I'll give it a chance. And regardless of my opinion regarding Richie's abrupt departure in 2013, I just want to like what he releases. That tweet of Richie defending himself after the NRL Grand Final broke my heart. I hope that he's doing okay.

As for the band, I'm very happy with the music we have received so far, and I'm counting down the days to Nov 4th! Jon's voice may be shot, but he's like a totally different guy compared to the past 4 years. Reinvigorated, more open, relatable and passionate - that's all that I can ask for. Ok perhaps more guitars, but that's it :P
Old 10-07-2016, 01:16 PM
Price of posting

Quote:
From my point of view I've just never really enjoyed Richie's solo work - there have been a few outstanding songs (Father Time, The Answer, Seven Years Gone) but nothing that reaches me like the work with Bon Jovi did.

Richie along with Jon will always be one of my heroes - and whilst he was a member of the band I had interest in those solo projects - and even still have a vague interest as I did buy Aftermath and even downloaded Orianthi's album to see what she was about.

But nothing he does solo I think will ever reach the same level as Bon Jovi - I think without the band Richie is directionless and clearly lost. At the same time as much as I'm enjoying Bon Jovi's new direction - it will always be missing some magic without Richie there, and that I blame on Richie for leaving, whatever his reasons were.

Great post and sums up how I feel and think
Wembley Arena 90, Wembley Arena 93, MK Bowl 93, Wembley Stadium 95, MK Bowl 96, Wembley Stadium 00, MK Bowl 01, Hyde Park 03, MK Bowl 06, o2 07, Twickenham 08, o2 10 (x2), Hyde Park 13, London Palladium 16, Wembley 19
Follow me: @iam_emmo
Old 10-07-2016, 01:41 PM
Lay your Posts on Me

I don't care that Richie left. I am one of the few who thinks it makes no difference if Richie is in Bon Jovi or not. Sure, some minor things are missing, but the THISFS tracks we have had so far are not a radical departure from the last four albums with Richie on board.

Jon's voice sucks bad, but he makes new music and he does it professionally. I like the new songs for the most part but I know they will not find heavy rotation on my playlists because my tastes have changed.

I have been very critical of Richie because for the last year or two he has been the most active. Jon has been doing little apart from Burning Bridges, which was just Ok. Richie has been doing shows and promoting an album that clearly doesn't exist. With the Bon Jovi machine starting again and a tour coming, I think Jon will be getting plenty of my criticism unless he magically sorts his voice out.

That said, Jon has just lost (or let go of) his voice. Richie has problems with his voice, his playing, his professionalism, his stage presence, his promotion, etc. There is just more to be critical of. Jon vs. Richie? Right now they both suck in their own ways. At least together they could have sucked as a unit like they have been on an off for 16 years.

And also, Jon is the singer of some of my favorite songs ever. No matter how well Richie sings Bon Jovi songs (he sings them crap anyway), it will always be Jon's voice that made me fall in love with them. There are a million ace guitar players who can give a musical voice to a band, and Richie was hugely important. But it was Jon's voice that defined the band and brought all of us fans in.

Van Halen is a good example. Eddie gave that band a musical backbone and because of his skills he became almost the fulcrum of the band. Yet, it's the David Lee Roth era that fans always demanded and loved, because DLR brought the voice, the lyrics, and ultimately defined what that band was.

I love rock stars, you know, the sort that are really a parody of the art form? Their cool because they are stupid, think of someone like Malmsteen who must be 60 but still walks around in head to toe leather. Richie right now is not a rock star, but he is playing at being one. At least Jon knows he is not a rock star anymore and is making middle of the road pop songs.

So my answer is, Richie presents a bigger target, but we all should be slaying them both.

One more thing. I do find it funny that some people have clearly picked a side. I think you either love what they both achieved and brought to your life, or you have problems with the situation for both. Being butt hurt simply because Richie left is just stupid. Be butt hurt if your wife/husband leaves to run around the world with a blonde Australian, but not Richie.
Old 10-07-2016, 01:56 PM
Lay your Posts on Me

Quote:

Agree with you on every point. Thing is, Bon Jovi was a band thing, which combined the chemistry of the duo to bring out anthemic songs and pure rock sound and music. Solo projects would be differently for both artists as they followed a different route.
Old 10-07-2016, 03:00 PM
Something for the Posts

Best post I've read on here in ages...

A lot of fans still seems really angry at Richie for leaving (read some of the comments on social media). It's been 3 years, move on. Richie's heart wasn't in it anymore, so it's a good thing that he left. Isn't following your heart what a lot of the band's music was about? Then, when a band member does exactly that the fans hate him for it. Ok, maybe he could have not left on the day of a show, but clearly something snapped in Richie that day and he decided he couldn't do it anymore. Fair play....

How about saying Thanks Richie for 30 years of great times with Bon Jovi, you do what you've gotta do. Whether you follow him solo or not is irrelevant...he gave the fans of this band a lot in those 30 years, from songs to records to tours, and we should all appreciate that!

There doesn't seem as much anger towards Jon just a lot of criticism for his voice. Dome performances make me sad that he no longer has the power he used to. I listened to Keep The Faith the other day and he was phenomenal in his prime, but we are all getting older. We can't be the same as we were 20 or even 10 years ago....
Old 10-07-2016, 03:23 PM
The Distance

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesedays2014 View Post

- Let's take Aftermath: it has it's ups and downs, but honestly, walk beside you-seven years-broken wing is the best song Bon Jovi related song sequence since These Days...

However, when it comes to songwriting...no way. This songs on This House are the same old (bar a few exceptions); re-worked lyrics, riffs,... and where are the solos? Production and song-wise, it's going to be WAN 2 without the acoustic tracks...

Richie is himself; Jon is still trying to be relevant in today's music world instead of being honest
Another Richie thread, How Exciting!!!!

- walk beside you-seven years-broken wing ARE NOT THE best song Bon Jovi related song sequence since These Days

- You are talking about This House as if you heard it...

- 'Richie is himself?' WTF does that even mean as opposed to Jon? Jon let his hair go grey and Richie still colors it and wears lipstick...

- Jon is still trying to be relevant in today's music world is a good thing IMO... And This House is the most honest album Jon's put out in decades...

- And I can keep going...