Jovitalk - Bon Jovi Fan Community
Home Register Members FAQ

The Richie Sambora & Orianthi album

New Bon Jovi Releases

Old 07-28-2016, 08:15 PM
Breakout

O.K. I give him credit for trying, but that was painful to watch. If he is so good, why was it so hard for him?
Old 07-28-2016, 08:17 PM
Undiscovered Posts

But this one is definitely the hardest one for him to sing. Take a look at Stranger In This Town for instance and the performace is really good in my opinion, and the other songs as well. He looks much much better than previous videos.
Old 07-28-2016, 08:30 PM
Breakout

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherGuy View Post
But this one is definitely the hardest one for him to sing. Take a look at Stranger In This Town for instance and the performace is really good in my opinion, and the other songs as well. He looks much much better than previous videos.
I guess it is what videos you happen to look at? A quick confession which I think most of you already know I don't like Richie solo or with Orianthi either!
Old 07-28-2016, 08:38 PM
Price of posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.J.F. View Post
A quick confession which I think most of you already know I don't like Richie solo or with Orianthi either!

Last edited by rolo_tomachi; 07-28-2016 at 09:16 PM..
Old 07-28-2016, 09:06 PM
Posting everyday

Quote:
I guess it is what videos you happen to look at? A quick confession which I think most of you already know I don't like Richie solo or with Orianthi either!
No way!
Old 07-28-2016, 09:20 PM
Undiscovered Posts

Quote:

This is a full show, look at min 27 for Stranger and 55 for IBTFY for example.
But if you don't like him in general it's a different thing.
I just watched him do Stranger in 2001 and I think it's not that far from it, of course it ain't like 1991 but still.
Old 07-29-2016, 03:28 AM
Blame it on the love of posting

Jon has aged and can't sing but at least he's coherent. Richie, whilst still capable of singing, is off his tits and has been since 2013.
Old 07-29-2016, 04:47 AM
These Days

Quote:
In that case, I'd have to say that the videos you happen to watch probably have less to do with it than your preferences.

Quote:
... If he is so good, why was it so hard for him?
Pssst! I'll let you in on a secret.

In general, most people, even those who are really, really good at what they do, don't get, or stay, "so good" by magic.

Okay, maybe I lied.

It's not really a secret. It's actually a pretty well-known fact that most people who succeed at something work damn hard at it. At times, we can forget that because they can make it look "so easy".

Of course, that's not really what you're asking, is it?

I'm afraid I don't know the answer to your specific question, but here are a few thoughts. (I'm going from memory, here, so some of these numbers might be a little off.)

Richie originally recorded The Answer about 25 years ago for his album, Stranger in This Town.

He did some shows supporting the album during the year after it was released, then returned to his role as Jon's sidekick for the next 5 years.

During the following hiatus, he recorded another album, Undiscovered Soul. He did another handful of shows in support, and sometimes performed The Answer because it was a fan favorite.

Then back to the Jovi machine for 12 -13 years, during which a lot of personal stuff happened and he went into a decline of sorts, possibly as a result of that.

He released Aftermath and did a short tour, aborted for either medical reasons or low ticket sales (depending on whom you believe), during which he sometimes performed The Answer, usually by request, iirc.

During that same time period, he was convinced by his boss to cut the band's break short and record another Jovi album. A few months after the release of Aftermath, he started the Ill-fated BWC tour.

Since, as far as we know, Richie was never given the opportunity to perform any of his solo work while touring with Bon Jovi, except for the occasional Stranger in This Town during one of the tours, and since those tours represent the majority of his performance time and attention, there may not have been a lot of time or attention left over to give to The Answer.

And here's another general truth (just because it happens to go along with that): if you don't use it, you lose it.

As I said earlier, in the relatively small number of shows where he performed the song over the past 25 years, the performances I have seen were less than stellar.

That could be due to any number of causes. Some of the reasons I've seen suggested include lack of preparation, loss of self-confidence, no incentive, former (or current, again depending on what you believe) substance abuse issues, not giving a sh!t, too lazy to practice, being not "well" (whatever that alludes to), being off his tits (but apparently just since 2013, so go figure), too busy screwing his partner, or screwing his partner over, or getting screwed over by his partner (depending, again)... or any combination of the above, along with a whole host of other possible reasons I'm sure I missed.

At any rate, going back as far as HAND in a few cases (which coincidentally, is when most of that personal stuff I referred to took place), and increasing exponentially since April 2013, the general consensus on this board has been that Richie has gotten sloppy, didn't seem to have it anymore, or just didn't seem to care. And I have to admit that when I watched some of the shows and compared them to when he was at the top of his game, I had to agree with some of that. Regardless of the reasons, it's been clear that Richie hasn't been performing at the same level he used to.

That being the case, then no matter how good he is (or may have been at one time), if he wants to improve, he will probably have to work hard. No shame in that. Most people do have to work hard to level up their game.

But seeing him put forth the effort, even if it seems that he has to work "so hard" at it, and even if it's not there yet, makes me believe that he actually does care and that he hasn't give up.

And that just makes me "so happy" that I'm sure I've answered your question, which perhaps was even rhetorical, in much more detail than you (and probably a lot of others) would have preferred.

But, then, in light of your 'confession', I also had the distinct impression that your primary purpose for asking in the first place was to get a reaction. So I wanted to make sure that you got your money's worth.

Have a nice day, darlin'!
Old 07-29-2016, 09:50 AM
Breakout

Hey great you like Richie, but can also see his flaws. I like Jon and can also see his flaws. And when Richie and Jon were really together it was good very good. But I knew even before the BWC Tour started trouble was brewing. Before the Tour Bon Jovi did a show for the BBC. I saw the show and knew things weren't good. Richie looked bored to death and there was zero chemistry between he and Jon in that show. And that was always one thing about Bon Jovi Jon and Richie had great chemistry together. So I wasn't surprised that Richie left the Tour. He was IMHO gone from Bon Jovi before he actually physically left. And while I don't like Richie by himself well enough to buy his music I do know some songs of his that I can listen to like Stranger In This Town, One Light Burning, and the one that kind of haunts me Seven Years Gone. He performed it on the Craig Ferguson Show in Dec. 2012. And I might add he did a great job on that song, but note the date it was like he knew he was "Gone" from Bon Jovi before he actually left. If you listen to that song closely, it is like the whole story is right there in front of you.

I just wish Richie would have told Jon before the Tour that he 1) didn't want to go on Tour and 2) he no longer wanted to be a part of Bon Jovi. Because it was clear he was already gone. We could have skipped all the drama of the split which would have been better IMHO for the band and the fans.

Sorry I can't keep up with you in length of posting, but we do need a little more life around here. And I seriously really enjoyed your post. It was well thought out and well written.
Old 07-29-2016, 12:26 PM
Price of posting

Jackieblue has touched me, it's basically what I feel for the guy, Richie is not a loser to leave the jovi machine, Richie is a winner for daring to make their own music, especially being in one of his worst moments as a musician. I think it would have been a loser for me, he never did more solo albums. I believe in his talent, it might not be as great as 20 years ago, but still can create inspiring music.

Minute 2:20

Quote:
Hey great you like Richie, but can also see his flaws. I like Jon and can also see his flaws. And when Richie and Jon were really together it was good very good. But I knew even before the BWC Tour started trouble was brewing. Before the Tour Bon Jovi did a show for the BBC. I saw the show and knew things weren't good. Richie looked bored to death and there was zero chemistry between he and Jon in that show. And that was always one thing about Bon Jovi Jon and Richie had great chemistry together. So I wasn't surprised that Richie left the Tour. He was IMHO gone from Bon Jovi before he actually physically left. And while I don't like Richie by himself well enough to buy his music I do know some songs of his that I can listen to like Stranger In This Town, One Light Burning, and the one that kind of haunts me Seven Years Gone. He performed it on the Craig Ferguson Show in Dec. 2012. And I might add he did a great job on that song, but note the date it was like he knew he was "Gone" from Bon Jovi before he actually left. If you listen to that song closely, it is like the whole story is right there in front of you.

I just wish Richie would have told Jon before the Tour that he 1) didn't want to go on Tour and 2) he no longer wanted to be a part of Bon Jovi. Because it was clear he was already gone. We could have skipped all the drama of the split which would have been better IMHO for the band and the fans.

Sorry I can't keep up with you in length of posting, but we do need a little more life around here. And I seriously really enjoyed your post. It was well thought out and well written.
You hit Richie because the story did not end with a happy ending. Well, some fans think differently, maybe this is not just happy because Jon pushed Richie to make another tour too soon. And on the lost magic between Jon and Richie, well, I must tell you that when both are not happy and no tension is very difficult to have chemistry, still, watching shows like Cleveland 2013, I can see more chemistry between Jon and Richie than Jon with Phil X and the rest of the band in recent shows.

Sorry, but some fans we still care about Richie.

You will always be welcome in any forum thread, no matter what.

Last edited by rolo_tomachi; 07-29-2016 at 12:51 PM..

Tags
orianthi, richie sambora